How Long Can I leave Charlotte/Nicola in the Ground?

• 8 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Hi
Have been happily digging up my Charlotte and Nicola as required and am wondering how long they will be ok for in the ground. I still have half a row of Charlotte and one and a bit rows of Nicola!

Basically should I dig them all up and store them or leave them where they are until we need them.

Also do I need to cut back the hallum as it's yellowing or leave it? Noticed some are cutting it all off. What is the reason for this?

Thanks

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: How Long Can I leave Charlotte/Nicola in the Ground?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:04 »
Ill cut mine off to allow the skins to get a little tougher for storage, but they are main crop (King Edwards)
Dont forget, the longer they are in the ground the more susceptible to slug damage they are.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 14:33 »
I leave some of mine in the ground until November.
I have dug up and eaten a row so far and have a further 6 rows to dig up.
They seem to keep better in the ground if they do not get eaten by slugs, but I have not had that problem yet this year. It has been bad in past years.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:33 »
That's helpful thank you. I was thinking because they are 'new potatoes' they would need to come out soon.

Is that the reason for cutting the tops off then, to harden the skins?
I thought it would stop growth and maybe prevent blight. Shows how wrong you can be!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:21 »
That too Sharon  :D

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:40 »
Oh ok, so I'm not completely stupid, I am slowly getting to grips with this growing lark! :blush: :)

home made pie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 21:31 »
Oh ok, so I'm not completely stupid, I am slowly getting to grips with this growing lark! :blush: :)

me too, I had been wondering the exact same thing about my potatoes so I'm glad you asked the question. 

I'm finding the skins a bit annoying, I can't seem to boil them properly without them going mushy and the skins fall off when cooked, still they taste fab so not too bothered
Jan

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 21:43 »
Try steaming the spuds in a steamer instead of boiling them. They retain more nutrients and are less likely to boil away (go mushy) but it depends on the variety of potato.

Steamers are cheap – if you haven’t got one I really would recommend buying a cheap two tier version to stick on the hob / gas. Great for all veg cooking rather than sitting in hot water – better taste and texture. ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

LILACSPLASH

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 21:49 »
I've put new spuds in damp compost, in a sealed bucket, in a cool place. They keep for months just fine.
Someone take the spanners away from me!

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 35 queries.