Perch height

• 10 Replies

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
Perch height
« on: December 22, 2011, 16:20 »
Afternoon all  :D

I adopted a little flock of (past their prime) chickens a few weeks ago, and they eschewed the perch in favour of huddling together in the nestbox, meaning lots of poo in their bedding. Those chicks now have a new home, and I am shortly getting some younger ones to replace them. I dont want them roosting in the nestbox, and I wondered if the old ones doing it was anything to do with the perch being at the same height as the box....should it be higher to encourage them to roost on that?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Perch height
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 19:59 »
Best to block off the nest box on a night until they get the hang of roosting.  Use a piece of wood, stiff cardboard or something similar.  Some members use sack cloth hung over the nesting area to discourage them.  If you choose young birds who haven't roosted before you may need to lift them onto the roost bar for a few nights.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 20:17 »
Mine seemed to much prefer their nest box to their perches.  So every night when I went up to close them in, I gave them a little gentle encouragement (ie - a shove) to get out of the nest box and onto their perches.

Now, when I go up they are still in the nest boxes (which does actually make it easier for me to make sure they are all in) but as soon as I close the house door, I can hear them moving around and then if I open the lid to the nest box up they have all moved over to their perches.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 20:31 »
I hope I'm not highjacking this post BUT :blush:
If the chickens are supposed to sleep on their perches,when do they get to go in their nest boxes to lay eggs?
(I suppose it's a dumb question :blush:)
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 20:41 »
They can lay their eggs any time of the day Judd.  The egg production takes around 26 hours so you will find that they lay at different times each day.  Then it gets to the point where they miss a day and lay early the next morning.

There is no such thing as a dumb question, we all need information from other members from time to time.   ;)

darren64

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 20:43 »
I'm havin the same problem,mine all used to use the perch but then the 2 hybrids started roosting in the next box,last night 1 of the speckled rocks had joined them leaving 1 speckled rock on the perch,so I pushed them all out of the box and blocked it off with wood,this morning they were all huddled on the floor of the coop,none were on the perch,so I have cut the perch into 3 angled pieces and joined them so that the perch is lower at 1 end then a slope then level again at the other end,when they went in the 2 rocks were back on the perch but the hybrids were in the nest box again,so I pushed them out and then placed them on the lower end of the roost and they walked up the slope and snuggled up with the rocks,I'll check later,fingers crossed they will still be up there.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 20:49 »
I'm havin the same problem,mine all used to use the perch but then the 2 hybrids started roosting in the next box,last night 1 of the speckled rocks had joined them leaving 1 speckled rock on the perch,so I pushed them all out of the box and blocked it off with wood,this morning they were all huddled on the floor of the coop,none were on the perch,so I have cut the perch into 3 angled pieces and joined them so that the perch is lower at 1 end then a slope then level again at the other end,when they went in the 2 rocks were back on the perch but the hybrids were in the nest box again,so I pushed them out and then placed them on the lower end of the roost and they walked up the slope and snuggled up with the rocks,I'll check later,fingers crossed they will still be up there.

You could check their feet, with all the frosty and wet weather they might be sore.  Sometimes they get a ball of mud caught in their feet.  If this has happened soak their feet in luke warm soapy water to soften the mud, don't be tempted to just pull the dried mud off.

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 21:56 »
Thanks for the replies  :blink:

Will keep an eye on the next lot, which I am looking forward to collecting on Saturday.

tstainesmoore

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 13:14 »
some birds will want to perch but it depends on how they have lived previously if they sleep in th enest box and are elder birds then they havn't perched before. however soemtimes with my birds some will perch and some wont dont force them to do it. but you could block the nest box off at night. also when buying in or rearing young birds i would advise not having perches until they are atleast half grown due to the perch rubbing against there breast bone and while that bone is still growing it can become, will not strainght, dosn't harm the bird but feels weird when handling them.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 14:27 »

The cheaper chickens will by higher up.  .  .  .  .  they're on higher perches. ! :lol:   Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

kegs

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 14:30 »

The cheaper chickens will by higher up.  .  .  .  .  they're on higher perches. ! :lol:   Cheers,    Tony.

:D  :D  :D

xx
Help! perch positioning and height???

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2007, 23:03
by richyrich7
xx
minimum perch head height

Started by slurp on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 20:18
by slurp
question
Height of run

Started by neil9797 on The Hen House

56 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 19:35
by Bonniebean
xx
Nest box height

Started by gracie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 11:13
by gracie

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.