Choosing a new polytunnel

• 8 Replies

mumof4

« on: January 31, 2008, 16:14 »
Well here's my first question -

I'm about to order a polytunnel from First Tunnels I think 12' x 15' I thought this was big but when i look at other peoples in magazines they always seem to have larger ones.

Can anyone offer any advice on how much (volume) you can grow in these things?

I was thinking of having a thermal Anti Fog Cover, crop bars, ventilated ridge kit and staging down one side and a wider door at the front with standard door at the rear. I thought i would purchase the ancor plates and timber base rail so it's easier to cover.

Does it all sound about right

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 16:51 »
Mine is 21 x 24 Mumof4, and its still not big enough, but last year I got in it roughly 56 tomato plants, 13 broad bean plants, 20 pea plants, 15 runner  and butter beans, 6 cucumbers and 2melons 11 chilli and pepper plants, and I kept a space for some leeks, but didn't use it in the end, they all went outside

So far this year, the point of lay pullets I've got are using it as a nice dry dut bath!!!!

mumof4

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 17:14 »
What's the ventilation like, mine will have two doors one at each end and i thought i'd get the ventilated ridge kit which is ment to kick in when it gets too hot - but do i really need it.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "mumof4"
What's the ventilation like, mine will have two doors one at each end and i thought i'd get the ventilated ridge kit which is ment to kick in when it gets too hot - but do i really need it.
ours havn't got vented ridge so don't know how effective it would be, but i DO know tunnels can get very hot so i would definately go for it.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

mumof4

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:05 »
Quote from: "ditchdigger"
ours havn't got vented ridge so don't know how effective it would be, but i DO know tunnels can get very hot so i would definately go for it.

Oh thanks thats good to know

WG.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:13 »
12' x 15' does sound like a decent size of tunnel although I've yet to meet anyone who considered that they'd bought an under-sized one.  Sizes don't compare with greenhouses since the effective growing area in a tunnel is reduced by its geometry.  Straight-sided tunnels are better in this regard.

The larger the tunnel, the greater the chances of overheating through poor ventilation.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:56 »

We haven't got a vented ridge on ours, as it was second hand and we had to take it as was, but it has like you said, double doors at the front and single door at the back.  Another reason we though for not having other vents is the wind in Lincolnshire, we are VERY exposed up here and we nearly lost our brooder shed yesterday because of it.

But yes, it can get hot at times.

mumof4

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 13:08 »
Quote from: "WG."
12' x 15' does sound like a decent size of tunnel although I've yet to meet anyone who considered that they'd bought an under-sized one.  Sizes don't compare with greenhouses since the effective growing area in a tunnel is reduced by its geometry.  Straight-sided tunnels are better in this regard.

The larger the tunnel, the greater the chances of overheating through poor ventilation.

Well just measued the area of my plot where i want to put it and there is plety of room for a 20 foot long poly this being the max length that I'm allowed on the site.

Finding it really hard to decide now.

WG.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 13:12 »
Finding it really hard to decide now.
Glad to have been of service  :?  :D

xx
polytunnel

Started by ciderman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 08:08
by ciderman
xx
HElp Which polytunnel to buy!

Started by alexo on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 16:45
by mumofstig
xx
polytunnel help

Started by fiano60 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:44
by fiano60
xx
Where to put a polytunnel

Started by Ma Lowe on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 01, 2014, 13:19
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 38 queries.