Pickled eggs

• 10 Replies

Lardman

Pickled eggs
« on: June 11, 2012, 22:08 »
Im trying to be brave.

Do I need to heat the vinegar up if so how hot boiling or warm ? I don't have some of the bits Val has included for "spiced vinegar" (and there's certainly no muslin bag  ::) ) Can I / Should I just chuck some mustard seed and pepper corns in the jars too ?

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
Re: Pickled eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 23:13 »
I do eggs every year and have never heated the vinegar. I just boil the eggs allow to go cold in a sink of cold water, put them in the jars and fill up with vinegar.

2 weeks later tuck in with a lump of good cheddar. Lovely.  ::)
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 13:33 »
Add whatever seasonings you have and like. Peppercorns and mustard seed are both good.

Suggest you try small quantities of eggs with specific seasonings first to see how you like them.

I made them years ago and don't remember heating the vinegar.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 17:45 »
Trying them in just plain white vinegar first, I'll do another jar with some spice in when I've eaten the gerkins out of it  :tongue2:  ::)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 18:02 »

Blade mace is the divvil to find but star anise gives an oriental twist.    ::)    Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 20:41 »
Glad you are going to try them  :)

I use white malt vinegar and a pinch of pickling spice and pour the vinegar on cold.  Once the eggs are hardboiled and cooled quickly in cold water, store in a bowl of cold salted water in the fridge for a few hours.  Makes them much easier to peel.  Don't use really fresh eggs for the same reason.

Last year a used a couple of slices of onion - cut across the onion to make discs - on top to weigh the eggs down and keep them under the vinegar.  Gave such a nice flavour, have repeated this year and put an extra layer midway up the jar  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 21:36 »
Im trying to be brave.

Do I need to heat the vinegar up if so how hot boiling or warm ? I don't have some of the bits Val has included for "spiced vinegar" (and there's certainly no muslin bag  ::) ) Can I / Should I just chuck some mustard seed and pepper corns in the jars too ?

If you pm me your address I'll send you some muslin,muslin bags are just a square of muslin with the spices put in the middle & all four corners brought up & tied tightly with string
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:58 »
If you pm me your address I'll send you some muslin...

That's a very kind offer Snow - but it would cost more for postage than the muslin.   :wub:

My kitchen equipment is very basic - I have sharp things and round things to cook in, the rest of the space is taken up screws, nails and power tools  :lol:  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 14:03 »
... the rest of the space is taken up screws, nails and power tools  :lol:  ::)

A waste of space, isn't it, Lardman?  :lol: :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 20:11 »
If you pm me your address I'll send you some muslin...

That's a very kind offer Snow - but it would cost more for postage than the muslin.   :wub:

My kitchen equipment is very basic - I have sharp things and round things to cook in, the rest of the space is taken up screws, nails and power tools  :lol:  ::)

No it wouldn't It's only very light & I was going to send you a couple of squares.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 20:51 »
You had some good replies already, but I make these all the time, I use Sarsons pickling vinegar (if you know a caterer ask them to get you 5 litres from Bookers or their cash &carry) or white Malt vinegar.

For a great twist, I put some dried Chilli peppers in first, put in the eggs and then top up with the vinegar. The hotter the chilli the better!

You can then play "egg roulette" by putting ONE of them in a bowl of regular pickled eggs!

Onion (soaked in strong brine first to reduce the water level) is also great as are herbs such as Dill.
I really like Italian herb flavoured eggs.

Please try your own variations of herbs and spices as you can get really interesting results.

xx
Pickled Eggs

Started by Sharonx on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 22:27
by Sharonx
xx
Pickled eggs

Started by beanqueen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 09:30
by matilda duck
xx
simple pickled eggs ?

Started by smellykipper on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 07:46
by smellykipper
clip
Recipe : Refrigerator Pickled Eggs

Started by DanielCoffey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2018, 18:17
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 39 queries.