Seed storage boxes

• 17 Replies

mikeimp

Seed storage boxes
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:36 »
We have kept our packets of seeds in an old ice cream container but they do get all mixed up and we dont have any idea whats what.Anyone with any idea what  to use ,buy , make or makedo with, that you can take down onto the lottie,store ok and keep them sorted.

(title edit for search clarity)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:40 by mumofstig »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Seed storage boxes
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:43 »
You can buy things like THIS. I'm always on the lookout for a nice old wooden box with compartments, but until I come across one, the seed packets live in an ice cream tub too. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:46 »
I use a long tupperware-type container (about the size of a long loaf of bread) and have homemade cardboard dividers for each month  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:15 »
I like a tupperware box and keep it in the fridge. My husband kept removing it and replaceing it with beer so I now keep the boxes in my office  :nowink:  I just keep them in alphabetical order.  Sowing order is good though and a very organised way of arranging the seeds, and a timely reminder of when to sow  :)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 13:48 »
That's exactly how I do it, tupperware in the fridge with home made cardboard dividers. Only trouble is making the enormous pea and bean seed packets fit in with the normal size packets :)

mattwragg94

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 14:07 »
i have a sort of filing cabinet in my greenhouse, it has shallower draws as well as deep draws at the bottom (around ten draws in total), i keep everything in there seeds in one draw and tools in another et.

trampyjoe

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 20:21 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 20:24 »
I assume that's a prototype?

When does the life-size version come out?  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 20:32 »
I too use plastic storage tubs divided with monthly dividers made from wood. I'm up to 3 tubs & could do with a 4th. I had them from wilco's a couple of years ago. I remove the current months seeds to take to the potting shed/plot/greenhouse. I keep them in the garage when not using them to keep them cool.

Mattwragg  it might get a bit hot in the greenhouse & spoil the viability of the seeds.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 20:35 »
It also might get a bit too cold.

The temperature fluctuations you can get in a greenhouse are certainly not good for viability.

mattwragg94

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 21:14 »
hmm never though about that, ive had some seed in there for years tho and still have good germination rates from them. however most of my seeds dont usually last more that a year as i empty the whole packet in a seed tray, pot em on and what ever i have spare i send to my local horticultural society to help raise funds.

plus in the summer it comes out of the greenhouse as i need all the room i can get!

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 21:38 »
I have one of those Burgon and Ball boxes that was given to me for Christmas. The lid just rests on rather than being tight, so not really any good for open packets...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 21:48 »
Main requirement for storing seeds is somewhere consistently cool and dry - what you actually put them in is up to you - I use an old shoe box with some crumpled paper down one side because it's wider than most seed packets (I'm right posh, me!)  It lives in the "glory hole" under the stairs so it's easy to find if I'm bored and want to count them all! :lol:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 15:19 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 22:05 »
mine lives under the table in the cold corner of the living room - under there it's never freezing but tbh it's never that warm either  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 02:36 »
I bought some nice rectangular plastic storage tubs with lids for mine. The one I got for veg seeds is beyond full so now I need to buy a 2nd one for veg and  split them A-L and M-Z. Have separate ones for flowers & herbs, and bulk packages. Just starting into winter veg for a new coldframe so I'll have to buy yet another for those seeds.

I organized my tubs with recipe cards topped with labelled  binder topic tabs so I could find things quickly. Works a treat.

xx
IBC for water storage

Started by RichardA on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 12:50
by RichardA
xx
Garden tool storage

Started by lizziemac on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 16:44
by lizziemac
xx
Calor Gas storage on the plot?

Started by Steve.B on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 18:20
by Yorkie
xx
New allotment needs storage urgently!

Started by gbrown100 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 12:33
by noshed

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 40 queries.