pea dilemma

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

pea dilemma
« on: June 19, 2011, 23:32 »
I sowed some old Meteor peas in a trough a few weeks ago for sprouts in my salads and sowed more a couple of weeks later for succession. They all germinated fine.
Both lots have been snipped but keep producing new shoots so I was wondering if I could pop some of the plants in a bed and get peas? Is it too late?
Meteor are supposed to be over-wintering but you can plant in March for a summer crop.

viettaclark

Re: pea dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 22:57 »
Sorry to bump up but I'm planning on doing some planting out tomorrow as the forecast is fine.
I've got a bit of spare space. Should I bung in these pea plants (and hope!) please?

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 23:24 »
Probably nobody knows. They should produce a crop in September. Mildew is the what usually spoils late peas.

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 23:33 »
If it was me I would give it a go. I have just put some more mange tout in the ground as seed so they are behind yours that are already well rooted. Watch out for bird damage.
A successional sowing as late as mid June is often recommended as a way of beating Pea moth in any case. I really do think you will have some peas off this summer and certainly not a case of overwintering.Marshalls summer catalogue shows seeds for sowing as late as August so even given meteors longer growing habit you shoudl be well OK to go now with established seedlings.
Best of luck
R

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:38 »
I've not replied as I simply don't know as I've nver done this.

What I can say is that young shoots of mine that pigeons helped themselves to did recover to an extent, but they were nowhere near as good as untouched ones.

If I were you I'd use fresh seed. I didn't have the option as mine were self-saved heritage peas.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Dilemma

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2021, 12:58
by Russell Atterbury
xx
dilemma

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 10:16
by potatogrower
xx
Raspberry dilemma

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 18:44
by fletch
xx
Potato dilemma

Started by Ivor Backache on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 02, 2013, 21:37
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 28 queries.