Raspberry dilemma

• 8 Replies

pimnimmin

Raspberry dilemma
« on: June 22, 2014, 15:58 »
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I hope someone can clear up my confusion about what type of raspberries I have. I've just got back from my allotment with a couple of handfuls of raspberries - v surprising, as I thought I had autumn-fruiting plants.

I was given the canes 4 years ago and didn't ask what variety they were, but when I got (limited) fruit at the end of summer/beginning of autumn I presumed they were autumn-fruiting, so I always cut all the canes back after fruiting.

From what I have read, summer-fruiting varieties grow on last year's canes and I have cut this off so what kind of raspberries do I have?!

Please help!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 17:05 »
This year only cut down shoots that have actually fruited, or are dead, then next year you will see when they fruit  ;)

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 17:12 »
It can be very confusing until you clock which is which. I have Autumn fruiters in my garden and they are just starting to form berries and will ripen in about 5 weeks, and will probably carry on through to  November. Almost a bit like "ever bearing" strawberries". Up at the allotment I have both types.
There's only one way to prune raspberries to be sure. Only prune those stems that have fruited, Autumn or Summer types. All fruited stems in December will have evidence of that year's fruiting activity. Cut them down. What will be left showing will be next year's Summer canes, with all the Autumn ones cut down. 
I find it simpler not to go down the technical Summer/Autumn thing whilst pruning. Think all raspberries don't by and large fruit again on already fruited stems.

pimnimmin

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 19:34 »
Ahh, that makes sense. I could've been cutting off some of the next year's fruiting canes for the last 4 years! Might explain the low yields! Another thing, despite tidying up the raspberry patch, the plants have gone bonkers and need to be thinned. Can I cut off any canes which don't have fruit on them or are there canes I should leave?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 19:46 »
Why do you want to thin the canes? Unless they are growing where you don't want them, it's usual to keep all the new-grown canes.

pimnimmin

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 20:53 »
I've got 4 rows of raspberries which have become a clump, so it's hard to get between the canes to find the fruit. Also not much light is getting through to some of the canes. These things don't half grow!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 21:27 »
A HA ........... dig out the shoots and roots from the paths - Covered my paths with double thickness weed fabric to keep them clear. Most of the old boys have grass paths between rows and just mow any new growth off  :nowink:

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:38 »
Ahh, that makes sense. I could've been cutting off some of the next year's fruiting canes for the last 4 years! Might explain the low yields! Another thing, despite tidying up the raspberry patch, the plants have gone bonkers and need to be thinned. Can I cut off any canes which don't have fruit on them or are there canes I should leave?
Just for now, if they really need thinning, I'd cut out any new weak spindly canes and leave the stronger and thicker ones to fruit next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

pimnimmin

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 21:52 »
Thanks for all the advice. My allotment is on a v small and, until recently, underused site so there isn't a wealth of knowledge to be found from the other plot holders. Tomorrow I'll be pruning the overactive raspberries and laying out some weed-proof fabric left over from my paths (didn't think to use it in the rasps).

xx
Raspberry dilemma

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 18:44
by fletch
xx
Dilemma

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2021, 12:58
by Russell Atterbury
xx
dilemma

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 10:16
by potatogrower
xx
pea dilemma

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 06:38
by DD.

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 40 queries.