Rat poison

• 14 Replies

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
Rat poison
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:55 »
Howdi all,
Is it just me who feels bad about putting rat poison down?
I understand the need to keep the population down and also to stop them stealing all my food but I'm just soft I think. What's everyone else's feelings on the matter?

Baron

Goosegirl

Re: Rat poison
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 13:26 »
This is very much a personal issue, so I will say where I am coming from. Man has worked with nature for millenia and needed to kill animals for their meat, skins, and other by-products in order to survive - as we still do today, though it is done far more humanely than then. We also have the need to protect our crops from any predator whether it be animal, insect, or whatever, so we can grow and harvest them for the table either because we want to grow our own for the sheer pleasure, taste, and also to know there have been no "chemicals" involved, or we are just trying to supplement the family funds - or both. If it means squashing insects, putting some sort of slug/snail bait down, shooting magpies to stop them pecking out the eyes from new-born lambs, or using rodent poison, it's all the same thing. As long as they have a quick and humane death, that's all I wish for. We used to have sheep because my OH was a butcher, and we used to send one or two home-raised lambs to slaughter but they were sent to a good place where we knew they would be treat properly. My OH also went on a Deer Management course where I learnt the reason for culling females and their fauns in late autumn - it was because they probably wouldn't survive the winter, so it saved them so much suffering. What I am trying to say is that, when you are doing your best to provide for your family, sentiment can get in the way. Like with rats, ok - they don't bother me as animals, have held them in the past, but they can carry disease (Lyme's) amongst other things, so are best removed a.s.a.p. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 14:22 »
Wow, fantastic reply GG, I'm just a sucker really, I'm guessing the anti coagulant baits are a quick death for then as well...

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:58 »
Thanks for that, RB. We have a little small-holding that includes a "Colditz-type" hen and geese pen that is vermin-proof, but today we have lost one of our goslings. All that is left are bits of down, so was probably either a crow or magpie. Although I personally don't like to see it done, I know my OH would have no problem shooting them because they have taken away something that was reared either for future breeding or for the table later on, so you see what I mean. As for rat poison, it contains warfarin which is an anti-coagulant that causes internal bleeding. My OH says that when he has put rat bait down in what was our sheep shelter (but is now used by a nephew for his goats) and found them dead later on, they look just as if they have curled up and gone to sleep quite peacefully. It's really all about living with nature and respecting it, but not letting it get the upper hand for what you want to achieve. Your not being a sucker - you care - but your priorities have to come first.   

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 14:13 »
We had rat problems last year and worrying about raptors and other prey animals eating poisoned rat carcasses we bought a product called Eradibait.
There are no chemicals in it and raptors and the like can safely eat the bodies with no ill effect.

It isn't cheap, not many places sell it, but it worked a treat.

Good luck.

Mick.

mavie

• thank ypu
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:07 »
I would like to ask a question I have just found rats in my compost bin is it save to still use the compost after removing the rats mavie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 18:38 »
Welcome to the site mavie  :D

Afraid I'm not sure about the answer to your question though  :(

Someone else will be along shortly, I'm sure  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mavie

• thank ypu
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 23:28 »
thanks Yorkie for the welcome You may be guessed that I;m   a complete beginner on forums and such like  but it seems very interesting  mavie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 17:41 »
Glad you like the site, mavie  :)

Did a bit of a search for you and found a couple of older threads which I'd forgotten about:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88182.msg977763#msg977763
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=71244.msg812840#msg812840

Wash produce well and probably don't use the compost for salad leaves but otherwise the consensus is on the side of using your compost.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 17:50 »
also in future it might be better to rest your compost bins on some strong weld mesh with small holes that will stop the rats from getting in..
Staffies are softer than you think.

mavie

• thank ypu
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 19:33 »
thanks a lot for the info will do as you recommend I;m so glad I joined alottment gardening as I was really thinking I would have to ditch the lot. thanks also to Joyful for her help.Mavie

LotuSeed

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 06:17 »
Howdi all,
Is it just me who feels bad about putting rat poison down?
I understand the need to keep the population down and also to stop them stealing all my food but I'm just soft I think. What's everyone else's feelings on the matter?

Baron

If you have to get rid of rats or mice,  try using snap traps instead of poison. The problem with poison is that it can kill other wildlife as well. I found a beautiful female red tailed hawk this spring lying on the side of the road. Ive worked with raptors before so I was naturally curious to see if I could help it. She was warm to the touch, but she was dead :(. She was a good size and was one of the lucky few that actually don't starve to death during their first winter. There were signs on her beak that she had eaten not too long before I found her and her croup was full. It was as if she had just died and fallen out of the trees. I called a friend who owns several raptors himself. He was of the opinion that she had likely died after eating a rodent that had been poisoned. I think it's best to keep in mind that rat poison doesn't kill just rats, it can kill anything that comes into contact with it whether it  be firsthand or secondhand.  Poor girl.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 07:33 »
here in the UK we can buy eradibait which is a poison that will only work on rodents so any bird or other animal that comes into contact with the poisoned rodent is perfectly safe.

LotuSeed

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36 »
Eradibait isn't readily available here in the States.  I'd never even heard of it before reading your post.  I did find it for sale online but it costs £100. You could buy a lot of snap type rat traps with that!  :ohmy: 

I hate the thought of killing animals even when it seems "necessary". I'd feel terrible knowing they had to suffer 4-7 days before dying.

I wonder why the stuff isn't marketed here :unsure:

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00 »
it is a shame you cant buy it over there  :(

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 36 queries.