buff orpintons

• 6 Replies

sizer247

buff orpintons
« on: January 26, 2011, 15:31 »
ive just got a trio of buff orpingtons an understand yhere a duel purpose bird an lay around 160 eggs a year has is this correct has anyone eles kept these , also they dont seem to go up onto the roost bars there in a shed on there own so there pretty much free to do as they like but dont seem to roost is this something to do with there size ?

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: buff orpintons
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 16:30 »
Hello sizer, I have a buff columbian orpington and even though she is a large girl she does go on the perch at night, although she never uses the outside perches. She didn't start laying until the end of March 2010 and to date she has laid 124 eggs, the only one to lay through the winter. She tends to lay every other day or two days then one off. Hope this helps! Sue

BIG ZOOK

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 17:42 »
I had buffs for the kids ,lovely birds and mine were very well mannered,even the cockerel brothers were behaved and loved being handled.Never had any issues with them perching though.Were yours roosting on the floor b4??.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 19:50 »
Hi Sizer, I have Buff Oprington they started laying last Jan 2010 and went into moult Nov 2010 and not started laying yet, to date one layed 102 eggs but went broody twice and the other layed 128, they do not use the perch at night they sleep in the nest box, they are a lovely hen to keep. Regards Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

sizer247

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 19:57 »
there were just kept in a shed with no roost bars ha never thought about that so really they dont know any other, to big zook i cant send ya a personal message because i need ten post but im from t side and i do know a man selling both pullets an cockrels

TeaPots

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 20:44 »
Orpies, being such big, heavy-footed choox need to roost low down, because landing from a bit of a jump can cause all sorts of leg and foot probs, incl. bumblefoot.  I currently have 7 Orpies, and I am told that Buffs have been specially bred, and are not quite as prolific egg-layers as the other colours, but mine are laying well, so I dont know what truth there is to that.  I know much of their energy and protein etc goes into their feathers rather than egg laying. 

uktitan

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 21:12 »
I heard pretty much the same as Teapots, they Used to lay Pretty well a ways back, but Some where along the line people started Breeding them more for their looks than their laying ability's so the number of eggs they lay Now is less than they used to before people started breeding them for looks.

We have a Blue Orpington and she loves to be on the high Perch in the Run its 4ft off the ground, When she goes to bed however she prefers the perch that is just 2ft off the ground, She hasn't started laying yet, but it shouldn't be long now, her comb has gone bright red in anticipation hehe can't wait  :D
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by Susan on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 23:30
by Fifitrix
xx
Buff orpingtons

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 10:28
by trinamc
xx
BUFF SUSSEX

Started by LILACSPLASH on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 22:58
by LILACSPLASH
xx
buff orpingtons

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 21:28
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 34 queries.