Free and Wild Food

• 187 Replies

RubyR3d

Re: Free and Wild Food
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2013, 22:53 »
While picking and eating wild food is a fun thing to do please remember you can eat other stuff but to wildlife it is a matter of life or death.After a couple of really bad winters the wildlife has suffered huge losses and hunting for meagre offerings while trying to keep warm is a step too far for many and they die trying.Please don't pick too much from any one tree or bush and only pick what you will use not just for the sake of it.Taking stuff then wondering what to do with it afterwards seems wrong to me.Its been a wonderful spring and summer with numbers of birds ,butterflies and small mammals on the up.Let's leave plenty of wild food on plenty of trees to help them through what could be another hard winter. ;)

gypsy

« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2013, 18:22 »
While picking and eating wild food is a fun thing to do please remember you can eat other stuff but to wildlife it is a matter of life or death.After a couple of really bad winters the wildlife has suffered huge losses and hunting for meagre offerings while trying to keep warm is a step too far for many and they die trying.Please don't pick too much from any one tree or bush and only pick what you will use not just for the sake of it.Taking stuff then wondering what to do with it afterwards seems wrong to me.Its been a wonderful spring and summer with numbers of birds ,butterflies and small mammals on the up.Let's leave plenty of wild food on plenty of trees to help them through what could be another hard winter. ;)
Well said, I agree with you.
Catherine

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2013, 18:27 »
Thanks both for reminding us. We've had regular responsible posts throughout, but for anyone who hasn't read through all the pages a reminder is handy. ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

diospyros

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2013, 18:13 »
In a bush in my garden is a pigeon nest at head height, despite my best efforts to discourage them.  There are now two chicks. They look like dodos.  So do I/should I have them for tea in about four weeks time as per John Seymour's instructions for domestic pigeons?  Is this actually legal seeing as pigeons are game/pests, or is it still illegal to disturb them on the nest and I should wait until they leave it and then nab them straight away??

RubyR3d

« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2013, 20:12 »
 :( Can't you just leave them alone. It seems very cruel to take them from the nest knowing the parents will be distressed. Live and let live :(

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2013, 20:48 »
I'm vegetarian but pigeons and rabbits are fair game if you are prepared to wring their necks.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Sparkyrog

« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2013, 22:26 »
No comment would get slapped by the Mod's  :D
I cook therefore I grow

compostqueen

« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2013, 08:59 »
I had pigeons nesting in my allotment hedge and I watched the mother feeding the squabs; a happening I have never witnessed before or since.  Most people never get to see a squab. I've not seen one since and I'm glad I let them be. I'm not that starving that I have to eat squabs. With an allotment full of veg it would be hard to justify

diospyros

« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2013, 19:22 »
I could always eat the parents as well... and if I don't the sparrowhawk which treats my hawthorn as a drive-in will probably have them.  Oh OK, I give in.  The children are threatening dire consequences anyway!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2013, 13:08 »
I could always eat the parents as well... and if I don't the sparrowhawk which treats my hawthorn as a drive-in will probably have them.  Oh OK, I give in.  The children are threatening dire consequences anyway!

You are welcome to some from my garden, they really are a pest.  In the winter they steal the food I put out for smaller birds despite being in feeders they should not be able to feed from.  I have also had to treat one of my hens for scaly leg mite, as I hatched her from an egg and none of my other birds had it I think they must have come from the wood pigeons.   I counted 17 on the lawn last winter so there is no shortage here.   >:(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2013, 14:03 »
We have lots here too, and I'd have no objection to eating them either! Thankfully, and unlike the crows, they haven't figured out that I have a window-feeder.

On something completely different, are other people seeing a bumper crop of sloes this year? The hedgerows near my Mum's are completely covered in fruit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 14:04 by surbie100 »

Sparkyrog

« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2013, 22:13 »
We have lots here too, and I'd have no objection to eating them either! Thankfully, and unlike the crows, they haven't figured out that I have a window-feeder.

On something completely different, are other people seeing a bumper crop of sloes this year? The hedgerows near my Mum's are completely covered in fruit.
No the sloe's are dodo round here some idiot went out with a hedge trimmer ! cousin and I have had words  >:( Re wood pigeons lovely flavour but beware of eating  too many as in bulk they are meant to be poisonous  :)

Ema

« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2013, 19:53 »
Been out collecting walnut and chestnuts recently

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2013, 23:13 »
Sloes have been really big. Odd thing is I don't know where to collect the around here. Stompy started this, any suggestions? I got all min in the Lake District,.

Paddy
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Nobbie

« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59 »
Sloes have been really big. Odd thing is I don't know where to collect the around here. Stompy started this, any suggestions? I got all min in the Lake District,.

Paddy

No sloes around here :( . Went on a special journey a few weeks back to a supposedly good spot and loads of sloe bushes, but no fruit. Not seen a hint of one locally and I do a loat of running around trails keeping an eye out. Loads of rosehips though :) so I've made some rosehip jelly which is really nice, although I'm not sure what the rosehip taste is or if I'm just tasting the lemon and orange which goes in with the rosehips :unsure:

xx
free food!!

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 23:28
by agapanthus
xx
Free food!

Started by beki on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:20
by Paul Plots
xx
BTCV free food guide

Started by Yorkie on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 11:23
by scabs
xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 55 queries.