Free and Wild Food

• 187 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Free and Wild Food
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2012, 17:01 »
I must admit I stay away from fungi, I just haven't got the knowledge. This week I've pickled dandelion buds, last week nettle haggis and dandelion pancakes. And I've finally got up the nerve to pick snails, remarkable harder than you'd think to find a meal full. 
Note to self.........Don't accept a dinner invitation from this member. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

tiasmum

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2012, 21:18 »
Its a really good time to collect elder flowers, both for cordial and champaign,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26 »
I must admit I stay away from fungi, I just haven't got the knowledge. This week I've pickled dandelion buds, last week nettle haggis and dandelion pancakes. And I've finally got up the nerve to pick snails, remarkable harder than you'd think to find a meal full. 

I hadn't realised until I saw aprogramme on TV this week that the large Roman snails (which do not inhabit gardens!) are in fact a protected species now  :ohmy:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Raven50

Foraged Food
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2012, 23:00 »
Hi Everyone,
We are great foragers for wild food, it's a great way to supplement the produce from your plot, and gives access to flavours and textures you won't find anywhere else  :)

At this time of year it's all about Elderflowers. These large shrubs/small trees grow everwhere, and are something whose smell you love, as I do, or think it smells like tomcats, as my daughter does  :dry:
Elderflower cordial is really easy to make, and is great for flavouring ice-cream (cheat and buy a good quality plain ice-cream, defrost a little and beat the cordial in to taste, then refreeze!) or for glugging into a cold glass of fizzy wine on a hot day. There's a couple of good recipes on the bbc.co.uk/food website, or at the same thing on the Channel 4 one.
Note - several recipes mention citric acid, which you can get from Boots and other chemists for a pound or two, and it lasts for ages.
Once you've made the cordial, there are loads of ways to use it in different recipes.  :)

Another way to use them is to make champagne, we have tried this ourselves once and it was lively, to say the least! There's a good recipe here -
 http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe.

But PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING WARNING taken from the webpage -

"Use STRONG bottles and strong seals. A really active mixture can produce a lot of gas if left for a long period, so do remember to let it off regularly to prevent explosions!"

It's a good job they were in the allotment shed, is all I can say  :ohmy:

I'll try and update the topic as the year progresses, and if anyone has any suggestions for other foraged favourites I'd love to hear about them!

A Note about the berries - I collect equal quantities of hawthorn hips, blackberries and elderberries from the playing field at the back of our house, cook and strain the juice through a muslin bag and use it to make jelly/jam. Delicious! But be warned, elderberries are a laxative if you use too many or try to eat them raw  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 13:08 by Raven50 »
'The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.'
 A Einstein

'Everything in the Universe, stars, planets, the earth, you, me - everything is made of *Stuff*'
Prof Brian Cox

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Foraged Food
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2012, 06:26 »
This post fits in fine with our free and wild food topic. ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

allotmentann

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2012, 07:08 »
Elderflower cordial is good, I have just made 9 litres of it! I discovered recently that a lot of Indian grocers sell citric acid (in with the spices), it is far cheaper than buying from the chemist. I am hoping to find something nice to do with the berries. :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38 »
Ann, elderberry wine is an excellent use for the berries  :D

They also go well in hedgerow jam, in smallish quantities  ;)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2012, 07:41 »
Ann, elderberry wine is an excellent use for the berries  :D

They also go well in hedgerow jam, in smallish quantities  ;)

I'll second both those statements sunny. :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2012, 15:26 »
This is a recipe for a cough syrup made with elderberries, it had an excellent review.  I haven't tried doing it yet as we didn't have any berries last year due to much needed pruning!  :wub:

www.greenmanherbalist.co.uk/elderberry_syrup.html
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2012, 19:44 »
made some elderberry and apple jam last year I liked it!
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2012, 09:03 »
Apart from blackberries, this year is going to be a bit thin on the ground for wild food. Even my local damson trees are nearly bare! No apples or pears on the trees I've found, no hawberries, zilch! I do worry for the wildlife if we have a cold Winter...

mobilekat

« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2012, 15:26 »
I have been feeding the birds all 'summer' and its been the busiest every- they have gone through more food this summer than they normally do in winter.
And like you said many trees are bare. Only think I have seen doing well is one local Rowan.

Hope for everyones sake that next year is better!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2012, 15:51 »
Apart from blackberries, this year is going to be a bit thin on the ground for wild food.

There are lots of brambles on the bushes, its just that they're tiny.

grendel

« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2012, 20:31 »
unfortunately near here is a nice patch of wild plums bullace and damson trees, they are totally not able to be picked as they are on the hard shoulder of a very major dual carriageway half way up a steep hill, you only see the top 10 foot ofr so of the trees as they are on a steep bank, and you cant get to the bottom of the bank, so every year I am foced to watch the plums fall and slowly rot as I drive past. stopping at that location would be suicide as there is only a few feet width of hard shoulder to the barrier, and huge lorries hug the edge of the white line going up the hill as all the cars pass them, the nrearest spot to pull over has to be a mile away, so its just sad.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Raven50

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2012, 18:54 »
I picked my first blackberries mid-week, from the alleyway behind my terrace that leads to a playing field. There were far more than I could pick in one session, so I just had a few to put in a crumble with some apples - lovely  :)
The last couple of years I have made a 'Hedgerow Jelly' from berries and haws I collect from the playing field. It's an easy recipe - collect equal quantities of blackberries, Hawthorn haws and elderberries, put in a large pan with about a pint of water (for approx 1 kilo of berries) and simmer gently to bring the juices out. Leave to drain in muslin or a jelly bag over a large bowl overnight, then measure the resulting juice and add an equal quantity of jam sugar (the sort with the pectin already added). Bring up to setting temperature and decant into sterilised jars. That's it! It goes equally well with meat as well as sweets - it makes a great filling for a victoria sponge - and tastes, oddly, a bit like blackcurrant jam...

xx
Free food!

Started by beki on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:20
by Paul Plots
xx
free food!!

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 23:28
by agapanthus
xx
BTCV free food guide

Started by Yorkie on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 11:23
by scabs
xx
Free 14 day trial of Garden Advice Club (+ 2 FREE GARDENING BOOKS)

Started by commerlad on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 08:55
by commerlad

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 55 queries.