Should I Frontline my chooks?

• 16 Replies

PaulineM

Should I Frontline my chooks?
« on: August 30, 2010, 21:05 »
Hi
I did my first big clean out today. I brushed everything out and then sprayed poultry shield all over the coop, when dry I brushed on a diatom slurry in all corners and on the perches etc. I made my slurry with the diluted poultry shield a drop of fairy liquid and the diatom (Hope that was correct).
I found 3 earwigs living under the slide out floor, diatom slurry now there, but worse was I think I found 2 dead fleas at the very bottom of one of the nestboxes. I squashed one but no blood or popping sound.
When I got my chooks they were louse powdered before leaving the place but I had also used diatom powder in nestboxes and dust baths etc. Has this killed the fleas or should I just frontline them to be sure. So far we can only catch one of the chooks. If I frontline them do I have to discard the eggs.
Sorry for the long winded thread.
Thanks
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Should I Frontline my chooks?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 21:30 »
You could just to be sure, I use the frontline spray that was prescribed for my chickens by my vet (as it isn't licenced for poultry). There is no withdrawal period so you can keep eating their eggs  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 21:42 »
Joyfull, do you just squirt in one area or do you have to spray the whole bird as you would if you were doing a dog?  I have frontline spot on which I am going to try for the first time.  Pauline, which frontline have you got for your hens?  Mine is the dog and cat one although you can get a kitten one.  My vet said to use half of one for each hen but I have to say that one or two drops is all I would use. 
Carol
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 21:46 »
Just drip one or two drops (depends on the size of bird - 2 for large fowl) on their back between their shoulder blades, you don't want them to ingest it whilst preening. With the spray I just do a short squirt in the same place.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 00:21 »
I used the kitten strength one on my hens.  I tried to put 2 drops on each hen and ended up using a packet of three applications on my 7 hens....total price £14 from  Pets at Home.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:26 »
Doesn't sound too seriuus to me and I wouldn't use any medication without being sure there's a need.  I take it that you haven't had them long.

Re diatom I assume you used dilute Poultry Shield not neat.  I use Vanodine V18 which is just a disinfectant which is usable on dirty surfaces ie it's not inactivated by dirt but if you don't have this, dilute Poultry Shield or just water with a dash of the fairy liquid would be fine.
Best wishes
HF
Truth through science.

PaulineM

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:14 »
Hi Everyone
Thanks for the replies!
I haven't got any Frontline yet but suppose it would be good to get some and give them a spray or whatever, it protects them from red mite and scaly leg too, doesn't it?
I have had my girls nearly 3 weeks now and I did use the diluted poultry shield for my diatom slurry.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 14:11 »
Hi Everyone
Thanks for the replies!
I haven't got any Frontline yet but suppose it would be good to get some and give them a spray or whatever, it protects them from red mite and scaly leg too, doesn't it?
I have had my girls nearly 3 weeks now and I did use the diluted poultry shield for my diatom slurry.

Although Frontline will kill RM it's not an effective solution as it just kills the adult blood sucking stages and RM only visit a chicken to feed the rest of the time they live in the house where eggs can remain dormant for months so a pesticide which zapps them in the house is the best solution as it gets all stages of their life cycle and will clean up an infestation which Frontline will only suppress or kill slowly and then won't touch dormant eggs and the nymph stages.
HF

PaulineM

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 16:43 »
Thanks HF
I think I will catch my one girl that can be caught and check her over for lice etc, I take it if she appears clear then they all are probably clear. No point in spending more money on something I hopefully don't need.
Fingers crossed!  :)

PaulineM

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 20:04 »
ARGHH!!!!
I've checked and ooh there is lice!
I seen one very tiny one near her vent, caught it and killed it, then checked under her wing and found one more, killed it. When my husband put her down there was one on his top! Definitely caught it, it was a bigger one. Will get some Frontline tomorrow, wish I could magic some up tonight but can't. Would they live on us? I will do the dogs tomorrow too. So do I need to Frontline every month now?
Will I need to clear out the coop again etc?

PaulineM

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49 »
Update
Bought Frontline for Cats 3 pipettes, one pipettes did all six chickens, They were not amused, had to catch them when they went to bed! Next day I checked the one we can catch and not a thing on her, so hopefully its the same for them all now.
Thanks everyone for reading and replying to my topic.
Pauline   :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:50 »
Update
Bought Frontline for Cats 3 pipettes, one pipettes did all six chickens, They were not amused, had to catch them when they went to bed! Next day I checked the one we can catch and not a thing on her, so hopefully its the same for them all now.
Thanks everyone for reading and replying to my topic.
Pauline   :)

Just give her another check in 7 days time just incase the frontline didnt get the hatching eggs.    I do my girls every 3 mths.   nickyx

4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 11:14 »
If I ever need it again I'll get teh cat strength rather than kitten...It seems there must be more in a pipette if you only used one for 6 hens!

PaulineM

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 12:46 »
Hi Kym
I don't know if there is more in a cat pipette it has only 0.5ml. I had all 3 pipettes with me when I went to do it. I just kept contact with the chickens skin and when I saw liquid on their skins I moved on to the next chicken. Mabel (the one we can catch) was last to be done and it seems to have been enough for her. Hope it has worked on all of them!
Maybe other members can say if one pipette was enough.

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 13:41 »
the kitten strength one is the one recommended for chickens or the spray.

xx
Frontline for my chooks?

Started by stef Batterbee on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 15:46
by Helenaj
xx
Frontline for chooks - yes or no

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Frontline for the chooks

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 15:13
by Aunt Sally
xx
Lice on 2 new chooks - Frontline advice???

Started by wildy78 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 11:42
by joyfull

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 36 queries.