Mites

• 6 Replies

AlecF

Mites
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:02 »
Hi everyone,

I have read previous threads on mites, particularly interesting was the idea to apply Diatom as a paste to nooks and crannies.

I have a particular problem right now, and I'd like the opinion of others on what I propose to do about it:

1. After clearing out bedding etc., spray with a strong solution of Jeyes Fluid and leave for a couple of hours (chickens excluded from house).
2. Then thoroughly pressure wash entire house.
3. When dry, apply Diatom.
4. Re-dust each hen, especially under the wings and bare areas.

If no comments, I'll carry on as proposed and post the result!

Alec

ghost61

Re: Mites
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16 »
I'd avoid using Jeyes Fluid.  Poultry Shield for me.  Otherwise seems fine!

barley

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 17:59 »
poultry shield here too

the smell from Jeyes fluid may be rather strong - poultry shield has no odour

I order mine from here http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/poultry-shield-5l

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 08:50 »
Jeyes is not reckoned to have any effect on mites  plus is quite hazardous to use. I would only use it if the coop could be aired for several weeks afterwards.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 19:00 »
If you get Hydrated Lime (NOT builders lime!!!) this works very well and much cheaper than DT, I got a 20kg bag for £4.50 though I am lucky in that there is a Lime & Fertilizer wholesale company the other side of town. This is a natural product which farmers use (my neighbours are farmers hence how I found out) and is harmless to animals. You can put it in their bedding as well as the coop and can even dust the birds with it. My birds free range but it is also great if you have a run as it is a natural antiseptic and helps to remove odours.   I may have had other problems ( :wub:)  but touch wood I have never had mites. (famous last words)

barley

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 20:21 »
If you get Hydrated Lime (NOT builders lime!!!) this works very well and much cheaper than DT,

that's handy too know Prod - any ideas where you '''' mite '''' be able to buy it ?

Prod

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 13:54 »
Well  as I said I am lucky in that my farmer neighbour pointed me to this company who are near Homebase in Brecon so I haven't looked where else. They generally sell in bulk but have recently started selling smaller bags to the public as well as Layers Pellets and Mixed Corn which are £6.50 x 20k bag and dust extracted bedding though when I bought some last month he didn't know the price so let me have it for a fiver!! I doubt he will do the same when I need more!! :D

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
question
Mites

Started by ychook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:35
by feelingbroody
xx
mites

Started by Ched on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 21:49
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Mites

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 21:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 36 queries.