Poultry Spice

• 14 Replies

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
Poultry Spice
« on: June 03, 2009, 22:16 »
Hello all  :)

Could somebody tell me how often I can give my girls 'Poultry Spice' at the moment I give them half a teaspoon (I have 5 hens) on their night time corn ration per week.

It only gives the quantity to give on the tin ie one teaspoon per ten birds but it does not say how often to give it?

is it is better to give it two or three times a week or would that be over doing it?

Many thanks Trina :)

Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

compostqueen

Re: Poultry Spice
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 22:59 »
I think they only have it as a tonic at times when they might need a boost, eg when they are moulting, or after a moult. Not as a general routine

Not sure though, and I think GA or Aunt Sal will have the best answer

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 23:07 »
Don't look at me!!!!    :D :D   I only give poultry spice now and again for instance when the little so and so's keep pecking each other to give them a boost

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 23:09 »
Oh I was not far wrong then GA  :)

ooer  :D

My girls are moulting at the moment so I got some. Smells gorgeous. I fancy putting some in my curry but it says for animal use only  ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 23:15 »
I keep trying to think of what that smells reminds me of, but I can't.  I should look at the ingredients, it may help!!!! lol

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 23:16 »
it's a mixture of curry spices  :D

trinacooke

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 23:21 »
Does smell nice doesnt it!!!  8)  ............ My girls had been a little under the weather so that was why I started giving it to them, but they are fit now although it does say on the tin a feeding supliment and it looks to be only a natural product.

They get CAV in the water and a tin of sardines a week - go absolutley MAD, MAD for them!
Oh forgot to mention the weekly spa, hair do and manicure ..... in other words they are a little pampered  ::)

Trina  :blush:

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 23:46 »
I think its aniseed isn't it ? I could go and have a look but its late  :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 23:55 »
I put about a half a hand ful in a 15 kg feeder for my lot (14) along with the same garlic granules. Give it a good mix round so all the pelletts are coated with the powder. I know when they're eating enough as they smell of it when i pick them up!! (they must pespire it or what ever they do).... lol. and cider vinegar in their water.

Contents of poultry spice............

Daily Feeding Guide:
One teaspoonful served in the usual dry / wet mash per 10 fowls.

Ingredients:
Minerals, Micronised Wheat, Powdered Ginger, Turmeric, Fenugreek and Aniseed.

Typical Analysis:
Protein 5%, Oils and Fats 2%, Fibre 1%, Ash 66%, Calcium 24%, Iron 1.25%, Potassium 0.85% and Magnesium 0.3%.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 07:12 »
Wild Witchy is spot on.  We put it in our daily rations for the hens and they DO smell of it.  We just dust their layer pellets and grains with it.  Very anisie, though.  I guess you have to like anise to like the smell.  I read somewhere that some cultures believe that anise is good for fertility.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13 »
I put about a half a hand ful in a 15 kg feeder for my lot (14) along with the same garlic granules. Give it a good mix round so all the pelletts are coated with the powder. I know when they're eating enough as they smell of it when i pick them up!! (they must pespire it or what ever they do).... lol. and cider vinegar in their water.

Contents of poultry spice............

Daily Feeding Guide:
One teaspoonful served in the usual dry / wet mash per 10 fowls.

Ingredients:
Minerals, Micronised Wheat, Powdered Ginger, Turmeric, Fenugreek and Aniseed.

Typical Analysis:
Protein 5%, Oils and Fats 2%, Fibre 1%, Ash 66%, Calcium 24%, Iron 1.25%, Potassium 0.85% and Magnesium 0.3%.

Do you give it to them every single day???? 8)
Mad Mark

nzdunn

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 15:23 »
Which is the better one poultry spice or apple cider vingegar, do they both do the same thing for the birds as a booster and can you feed them everyday.   Nickyx :D

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 16:40 »
The cider vinegar makes an acidic base to the system so it discourages bad bacteria, etc from growing and it is full of vitamins too - I think.  :wub:  I've heard it discourages parasite worms too.  As for the Poultry Spice, we use it every three refills of their feeders. 

trinacooke

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 17:36 »
My small tub of Poulty Spice just says recommended feeding guide 1 teaspoon per ten fowls a little more can be given during cold weather but no mention of daily or anything?

But bigger tubs obviously say this so thanks  :D I will probably increase it to a couple of times a week as it is only a natural suppliment.

as for the Cider Apple Vinegar I put it in my rabbits water bottles aswell as the chickens water and since I have been doing this I have been getting alot of comments from judges and in show reports of the great condition of my rabbits so must be good stuff!!  8)

Trina  :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 00:08 »
Yes I use the spice, garlic, cider vinegar constantly. And with my 2 new chicks. They are flying along! Perhaps I've been lucky with my ex batts but my 6 that i had have all survived so far (touch wood) & have been given supplements etc & some of them were a bit touch and go at first (oven ready almost).

I tend to use both & my lot are really doing well. Had a couple of soft egg issues which i was worried about but gave them some extra grit and its resolved (plus help from here  :)).

Sometimes the eggs taste a bit garlicy/spicy aswell which people have said is lovely. I can't tell because I eat alot of garlic so I'm used to it.

Well little ren hen, the anise is useless on me for fertillity although its a lovely smell.....I'm past all that malarkey now.  :lol:

I buy the large tub which is about £18 odd but I've had that since last Sept and still got loads left!

The c..vinegar is great for just about everything. and for humans aswell. just type in uses for apple cider vinegar & you'll get loads of info on the stuff........good for joints, ladies things......,anti bacterial,anti acid, i could go on and bore you all.

xx
Poultry spice feed/spice ratio

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 10:00
by hillfooter
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
poultry spice

Started by mercury on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 12, 2007, 23:07
by muntjac
xx
Poultry Spice

Started by CLARE SWANN on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 23:06
by Foxy

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.