• 21 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Building raised bed
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 22:36 »
Joining this thread a bit late but
1. I have raised beds because the soil underneath is such rubbish -- stony field
2. If I had decent soil I would've gone for lazy beds as they wouldve been cheaper to make and as easy to maintain

it's horses for courses IMHO  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

David.

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 11:53 »
How not to make raised beds!

On this plot (not mine) they started by driving there with a brushcutter for a couple of weeks, then brought a tractor & trailer to take the cuttings away, a tractor again to bring a rotorvator + those (bookcase) raised beds and yet another tractor/trailer trip with a load of manure, all for 2 tiny raised beds that are only about 800mm wide on a plot over 10 poles!

But actually cultivating anything in them appears to have been too much, as this is what they currently look like:

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 12:06 »
Says it all  ::)

But don't tar all RB'ers with the same brush as I am sure there are lots of example of ordinary plots and gardens in an equal state of inactivity  ;)

Bob

David.

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 16:20 »

But don't tar all RB'ers with the same brush as I am sure there are lots of example of ordinary plots and gardens in an equal state of inactivity  ;)

It was not the inactivity within the RB's that I was tar brushing, but the incredible waste of (surrounding) space/effort/etc.

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 16:29 »
Today I put 5 potato in one of those building bags.I am planoing on watering it every other day
             celery :)

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 16:40 »
I would reckon all of it needs having a go at David, so many people become gardeners and give up within a few days because they realised it is a bit more of a commitment than they thought, if this is on an allotment there should be ways to take the plot back and give it to someone who will use it.

Bob

Yabba

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 18:36 »
so many people become gardeners and give up within a few days because they realised it is a bit more of a commitment than they thought

Bob

flip side is people like me, I started off with a couple of beds that I could only use during summer, they're a tad "damp" rest of the year ... then gained an 8' x 6' greenhouse, then expanded into slightly more beds ( that's this year ), and then will ( hopefully, if I keep it up this year ) expand into even more beds next year ... or I'll make shedloads of mistakes and make better use of the same space next year :tongue2:

Whilst I help grow flowers every day, I've never considered myself a gardener, and still don't, ( and only grow veg / fruit/ urm ... other things you can eat ... because I love the whole seed -> plant -> plate route ) so I've always tried to "prove" myself at every step.

I still haven't proved to myself that I can run an allotment sized plot though, so I'm not on a waiting list ;)

¥

question
Building a raised veg bed

Started by compoQ on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 12:51
by compoQ
xx
building a raised bed

Started by rowlandwells on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 05:52
by Sideshoot
xx
Building raised beds

Started by miajoe on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post December 01, 2009, 14:43
by aelf
xx
Building Raised Beds

Started by Steven Dent on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 19:04
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 38 queries.