Beetroot Chioggia and Golden Beetroot

• 3 Replies

compostqueen

Beetroot Chioggia and Golden Beetroot
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:53 »
I have absolutely tonnes of these ready to eat now.  I grew them in modules, planted them out and I don't think I've had one failure. Hence the glut  :tongue2:

Now then, I cooked some gently in boiling water with a couple of bay leaves for about 40 minutes til just cooked. They were vile  :(

I have far too many just to use for salad so what I want to know from you is the best way of cooking or preserving these.  If I roast them can I preserve them afterwards?

I grew the golden beets as the catalogue described them as the best tasting but from my first experience I doubt it. Still, I am willing to try anything as I have so darned many  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Beetroot Chioggia and Golden Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 13:30 »
You could try roasting them and see if that improves the flavour.  I quite often cook beetroot this way if I have the oven on and it makes them sweeter and more intensely flavoured.

If you want to preserve them, this recipe is from the River Cottage Preserves book and I was going to give it a go when my beets were ready. It avoids the pre-boiling stage so if that's the problem, this should solve that.  You'll know if you roast a few and try them whether it's worth making this.

Roasted Sweet Beet Relish - makes 5 x 225g jars

1kg young beetroot - trimmed
Olive oil
250g granulated sugar
150ml red wine vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 large red onion - peeled and finely chopped
50g fresh grated horseradish - I was going to cheat and get this out of a jar  ;)

For the roasted tomato puree

1kg tomatoes
1 level tsp sea salt
4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
50ml olive oil

Heat the oven to 180C or Gas mark 4.
Halve the tomotoes and put skin side down on baking tray, sprinkle with salt, garlic and oil and roast for 1 hour, then put through a sieve to give about 300ml intensely flavoured puree.

Put the beetroot in a baking dish and drizzle with oil, then put on the shelf above the tomatoes in the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until skins are blistered and loosened.  Leave to cool a little then slip the skins off and grate in a food processor.

Put the sugar, vinegars and horseradish into a large pan, bring to boil and cook for 5 mins.  Stir in tomato puree and cook for 2 mins.  Add grated beetroot and cook for 10 mins until thickened.  Transfer to sterilised jars with vinegar proof lids.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 13:32 »
I grew golden beets a couple of years ago. Even if you roast them they are a rather horrible browny yellow...off-putting before you even taste them. Not a lot of flavour but sweet enough.
Don't know anything about preserving them, but I have made a sweet chutney with them, just added some bramley to make a sauce. Cooked the beets as normal, and cut them into wedges. Cooked some onion in some suger and wine vinegar, added beet and bramley and cooked a bit more, just made it up as I went along. You could add some mustard seed, and mint is great with beets. Just made it as needed and as I didn't use a recipe it was a surprise every time!

Cooked beets diced and fried with a chopped shallot and loads of mint, sour cream added at the end, a different side dish.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 13:49 »
Thanks for the recipe which I've printed off before someone comes along and takes it off  8)

Frying beetroots sounds delish.  The idea with the shallot sounds lovely and I have some of those that I picked last night

Right, thanks folks, I'll now get busy

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 39 queries.