Truely efficient weed killing (ideas please?)

• 23 Replies

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
Re: Truely efficient weed killing (ideas please?)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 19:37 »
Vinegar with a little washing up liquid to make it sticky kills off weed growth but not the roots

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 20:56 »
Whatever you do there will be digging involved, a rotovator tends to chop things and in some instances that just means these regrow.

If you do not want a herbicide then steim the tops and dig first, remove everything you can within reason, then rotovate to cut up the ground up and chop anything you did not get. You could well still need to dig again, but I wopuld suggest that for this you do a section at a time.

If you do not mind a herbicide then Glyphosphate in one form or another, maybe stronger then standard for the thistles as these are more "woody" and there is a glyphosphate one for tough weeds which I believe from reading the contents etc is simply stronger when sprayed on. Then let whatever there is die, get rid of the dead top stuff and then dig. You could get one of these flame wand thingy's and burn the dead stems.

You could probably get rid of the main part then section the area up and prepare a section at a time for planting and growing. At least you should then get something from it this year.

How you do the weed removal is up to you.

Casey76

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 08:30 »
Thanks all.

Most of the dead tops have been cut back now, and the bit where I've raked over it actually doesn't look too bad, and I'm thinking I could probably get the whole area dug over in a weekend of good work.

The thing which is holding me back now is the heavy frosts we are still having  :ohmy: :wacko:  During the day it is a lively 12-13C, but over night it is still in minus temps, so everything is white (and hard!) in the mornings.

After seeing how little ground cover there actually is, I'm going to hold off on the glyphosate for the time being and see how much I can do by hand.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31 »
If you can get some rough dug in between freezings, then the frosts might help break up he lumps a little bit. Maybe ...
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Snoop

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 11:25 »
I agree with sunshineband: frost can be your friend.

grendel

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 12:22 »
 :D concrete over and grow in pots?  :D
No seriously, I have no idea, nothing seems to stop them for any length of time.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 20:29 »
Thistle jungles!, My friend uses WD40 on his Thistles. I might try some on some mares-tail this year, I have nothing to loose  :(
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 22:34 »
Thistle jungles!, My friend uses WD40 on his Thistles. I might try some on some mares-tail this year, I have nothing to loose  :(

John points out somewhere on here that ammonium sulphamate is a very good compost accelerator. It is a natural product and breaks down into nitrogen after several weeks, but it kills any plant life. It used to be used to deal with marestail. It would be terrible if you tripped on the way to the compost heap and it spilled all over the pesky marestail... :nowink:                                       

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 08:47 »
O NO I better do a risk assessment on any trip hazards, don't want to be falling over noe do we !!!! :D

question
Cover after weed killing

Started by GED4le on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2023, 22:21
by Nobbie
xx
Ideas for low maintenance (low water/weed smothering) crops

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 19:39
by Christine
xx
Well and truely blighted.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 08:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
A new space efficient plant

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 15:58
by Kristen

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 39 queries.