male and female cucs.

• 14 Replies

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
male and female cucs.
« on: March 30, 2017, 23:43 »
Sorry as im sure this has been covered before  :wub: I did a search but am useless on the mobile phone internet  ::)   I have burbless tasty and bella cucs ( which are all female.) They are just coming through from seed. Will these be ok  together in greenhouse?  Not sure as I normally grow a single  variety in the gh.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: male and female cucs.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 06:41 »
They will be fine. There's no chance of pollination as they are both all female varieties.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:22 »
I don't grow standard cucs, i've always grown Marketmore, which i think are a ridge cucumber.
I grow 2 in the greenhouse and 2 outside and find them rather nice (once the spikes have been rubbed off)
Are the standard types better in some way, just wondering if im missing something?

Andy

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:14 »
Thanks DD, that's a relief.

Stompy; I have always grown Burpless Tasty. I chose it because John praised the flavour in his book and it can be grown in or out doors. Grown it ever since because he was right, lovely flavour! Not tried it out doors yet though! I'm just trying something different this year with the bella.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:37 by I Love Spuds »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 13:41 »
There seems to be some confusion here, as although Burpless Tasty Green is an f1 - it is not listed as an all female variety.
It shouldn't be grown alongside Bella unless you can isolate the Bella with enviromesh - sorry.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 14:06 »
OK, thanks for clearing that up. I'd best start again as I haven't labelled the pots with the type, just cuc's (i know, i know!  :nowink: )

I am just about to purchase a 18' long GH. Could I plant the 2 types at opposite ends without meshing, or is not a case of distance, more of pollinators?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 14:10 by I Love Spuds »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 14:23 »
You have to be able to stop the buzzies taking pollen from one variety to the other.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 14:35 »
Ok, thank you.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 23:30 »
There seems to be some confusion here, as although Burpless Tasty Green is an f1 - it is not listed as an all female variety.
It shouldn't be grown alongside Bella unless you can isolate the Bella with enviromesh - sorry.

Hm. Yes, you are right, however, Bella is all female, so I give the points to DD. :tongue2:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 10:02 »
I've checked and double-checked as much as I can and I'm pretty confident that the fruits of cucumbers aren't affected by cross-pollination, but the seeds won't be true to type if saved to sow next year (they won't anyway if they are F1 varieties, even if self-pollinated.)

The main advantage of all-female varieties is that you don't have the nervous wait you get with most cucurbits wondering whether you will ever get male and female flowers appearing at the same time in order to ensure pollination takes place.  :wacko:

(Sweetcorn is one of the few exceptions to the above rule - cross-pollination can affect one or all of the colour, sweetness and texture of the seeds, which of course are the part you eat.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 12:38 »
We really don't make things up, you know  :lol:
If you’re lucky enough to own a greenhouse then it’s well worth growing cucumbers indoors. Greenhouse cucumber plants produce long, smooth fruits similar to those that you find in the supermarkets. Greenhouse varieties don’t need pollinating - in fact, you should remove any male flowers to prevent pollination happening as this produces fruits with a bitter flavour.
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to-grow-cucumbers

Parthenocarpic varieties do not need pollination.
Plants that produce long, seedless cucumbers originated in European greenhouses and are termed parthenocarpic, which means they yield cucumbers without pollination. These cucumber plants must be grown in greenhouses to exclude bees because pollination causes their cucumbers to become misshapen and bitter.

growing two different varieties of cucumber close together. Indoor varieties are well known to develop bitter flavours if allowed to be pollinated; however outdoor varieties need to be pollinated to make fruit. So the issue is one of cross pollination between the two varieties.
https://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/faqs/bitter-cucumbers-and-cross-pollination
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 15:10 by mumofstig »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 13:41 »
I have found that if an all female variety is "accidentally" pollinated from elsewhere, the fruit itself is slightly bitter tasting.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lettice

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 14:11 »
I have been growing Burpless for many years inside a greenhouse and outside.
I try a new cucumber each year and this year have Suttons Marketmore from the Seed circle.
Grow Burpless and the other variety outside in large pots side by side and never seen any problems with the Burpless or the other.
Only grow Burpless in the greenhouse.
Burpless is always the better cucumber for me, crop and taste wise.
Shame its an F1 really as Id like to save my seed for it.
I get the seed form my trips to Northern France where you can buy 1 euro packs with 50 seeds instead of the normal paltry 20 here.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 14:12 by lettice »

gobs

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 23:14 »
We really don't make things up, you know  :lol:

No, not at all. They just can get needlessly over-complicated sometimes.

Where the male flowers cause a problem, it's stated to remove them. It's not the case with Burpless. So no issues.

I do not even know, if any such varieties are still for sale widely, were you have to bother with this.

gobs

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 23:19 »
I have been growing Burpless for many years inside a greenhouse and outside.
I try a new cucumber each year and this year have Suttons Marketmore from the Seed circle.
Grow Burpless and the other variety outside in large pots side by side and never seen any problems with the Burpless or the other.
Only grow Burpless in the greenhouse.
Burpless is always the better cucumber for me, crop and taste wise.
Shame its an F1 really as Id like to save my seed for it.
I get the seed form my trips to Northern France where you can buy 1 euro packs with 50 seeds instead of the normal paltry 20 here.

Indeed, a very good variety, from an early sowing, I had it cropping in June outdoors.

xx
onions- male or female?

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 10:18
by DD.
xx
Cucumbers male or female?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 20:40
by DD.
xx
F1 F2 Hybrid Male Female...

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 09:35
by barney rubble
xx
Cucumber Flowers Male or Female

Started by sodaspop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 11:25
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 30 queries.