Rhubarb

• 4 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb
« on: July 30, 2008, 13:22 »
Hi guys can you tell me when the best time to pick rhubarb is (i know it should not be picked for the first 18 months or so) and how much to pick? I know that probably sounds like a silly question but do you have to leave a certain amount on the plant for it to survive the next season?

Many thanks in advance Nicky

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 13:41 »
Now my rhubarb is 3 years old, I don't leave anything on the plant, but they say you shouldn't pick after June as the stems aren't as juicy or something, but I do know someone on here said they or their Mum picks her all the time there is rhubarb on the plant!

In fact, I keep looking at the bits I've got left, but keep forgetting to go and pick it!!!!

Then in the autumn, I cover the whole plant with plenty of chicken poop, and in the early spring, up it comes again!!!!

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 13:55 »
Thanks Grannieannie i'm so confused with everything i have read on different plants that i can't remember what is for what anymore lol

I have a huge rhubarb plant at my allotment and i want to make some rhubarb wine so do you think i can risk picking it now and freezing it for the wine? Might not strip it completely though as im not sure how old it is although i do know its been there long enough to start being picked.

Many thanks Nicky

Trillium

Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 15:20 »
I don't strip mine completely but I do find by July the stalks aren't as sweet or nice so I leave them. There's lots of other fruit coming  in season which I prefer. And like Grannie, I add chicken poo in fall.

home made pie

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 15:28 »
I've been picking from year one as didn't know any different  :oops: but it always gets loads more the next year, I just pull off the best looking stems and when it stops growing I remove the soggy bits and leave it to die back.  Its now three years old and we had so much this year I had to freeze it until I get chance to make jam or something...like the sound of wine though!!!

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 19:28
by Thrutchington
xx
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF RHUBARB

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 22:19
by potatopotato
xx
Rhubarb help

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 23:48
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 34 queries.