Sand

• 3 Replies

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
Sand
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:53 »
Hi,

I have a quite a lot of sand I have been storing my dads carrots in, one of the boxes is now about empty of carrots but still full if sand. I was thinking of adding the sand to my bed where I'm going to plant my carrots this year. Is this wise or am I just inviting lots of disease and carrot fly?

Many thanks

richy

• Experienced Member
Re: Sand
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:27 »
i use sharp sand mixed with compost on my lotty to help with drainage(clay soil) i mix it at about 1 part sand to 3 parts compost for my onions and carrots. Not sure if this is what you was thinking. I dont have any problems with it myself, i wouldnt sow any seed directly in sand though.

Richy

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 13:38 »
What sort of soil do you already have on the allotment?

You don't want to risk altering the balance of its structure too much for one particular crop, in case it leads to poor crops of different types of veggies in future years.

Were your Dad's carrots showing any signs of disease once they went into storage - any holes etc?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 16:18 »
My soil is loamy I think, it's neither sandy nor clay. My beds are in my garden and were grass this time last year. I dug them over and added lots if manure. I manured them again in November but didn't leave room for carrots. So I was thinking if I added some sand it would improve the growing conditions for carrots.

The stored carrots seem ok, I just have about 100kgs of sand in my garage that I need to get rid of! Maybe I should leave the soil alone and put a sandpit in for the kids!

xx
Question about sharp sand/grit sand & horticultural grad

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 00:26
by John
xx
sand

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 23:36
by peterjf
xx
Which sand??

Started by Livinhope on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 19:41
by Christo
xx
how much sand

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 23:39
by cooperman

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 34 queries.