19 girls lost

• 14 Replies

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
19 girls lost
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:14 »
Not mine, a lad on the allotments. He has all sorts and came in on Saturday morning to find 19 bodies - not sure if others are missing. Looks like the mink again.  >:(

Beautiful animal but make foxes look positively cuddly.

I have to say, I'm a bit worried about my girls going up there...  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: 19 girls lost
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:17 »
Oh how awful  :ohmy:
Staffies are softer than you think.

scabs

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:32 »
He's fairly sanguine about it, but yes... I'd have been heartbroken.  :(

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:32 »
It's terrible  :ohmy:  I couldn't leave my girls on the lotty. I want them where I can see them.  Mine got munched at home by the fox though and I'm now paranoid about their safety. I could never rest if they weren't under my nose

scabs

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36 »
Trouble is, a lot of people around here haven't reall got good-sized gardens. I have them at home for another few days but they really don't have enough room there.

I had three taken by a fox from home, so there's an element of risk wherever... I know what you mean though...  :(

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 08:40 »
It's bad enough having them at home and worrying over them constantly.  Since mine were attacked I'm really anxious all the time they're out and about and have to keep checking them. I keep a pair of binoculars handy too  8)

scabs

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:46 »
...and an air rifle?  ;) :D

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:51 »
I think it would be impossible to shoot a fox. You never see or hear them til it's too late. If you did see it - and happen to have a loaded gun handy - I still think it would be a miracle to actually hit the damn thing.  I couldn't hit a pig in an entry  :nowink:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:57 »
Oh no, thats awful- i would be heartbroken too :(. Im not sure id want them where i couldnt see them either, but like you say you've had some taken from home anyway. Was the guys run as preditor proof as it could be or is it a case of 'what do you expect'?....someone who lives up the road from me didnt even lck her girls away at night , then got very angry when 2 lots of girls got eaten by the fox :mad:

scabs

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:09 »
The guy's got a massive area and it's pretty well secure, but our site backs onto a canal and mink have been a problem for a couple of years it seems; they've killed chickens, pigeons and, believe it or not, a couple of geese. The problem is, they can get through the smallest of gaps.  :(

The guys at the bottom of the site have been hit worse and those at the top hardly at all - I'm bang in the middle of them.

Compost queen: Manchester foxes are much bolder! I doubt you could kill one with a pellet gun though... wouldn't like to try, you'd run more risk of causing suffering with infections and so on...  I know the lads have traps down for the mink (I'm getting one myself) but they're not so effective. I'm afraid the only way to get them really is with dogs. They've had a few that way.

I'm not sure how I feel about killing wild animals, even after losing my girls...

Also: I don't mean to be inflammatory, so strong feelings should be directed via PM.  :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 09:30 »
Well it sounds like he did everything he could. As im sure you know, sometimes its just not enough :(. Ive had a dog attack 1 of my girls, but never a fox/anything else thank goodness.I would be heartbroken, so i have everything crossed for you when you move your girls, but like you say you have had them taken from your garden .....i suppose if something is that determined its going to get in :(

scabs

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:40 »
The lesson I learned the hard way is that if you really care about your girls, you cannot afford to be laid back with things like locking them away at night...

:(

madcat

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 09:53 »
They aren't only around at night.   :(  A mink has been spotted on our site, middle of a quiet, warm weekday morning.  We don't have chucks, but there are rabbits.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 10:14 »
The lesson I learned the hard way is that if you really care about your girls, you cannot afford to be laid back with things like locking them away at night...

:(

totally agree...

compostqueen

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 20:28 »
My girls got attacked by a fox but I don't feel ill will towards foxes. They have to eat but I just wish it had been a discard takeaway from up the road  :)

xx
Lost my last 2 girls today.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 01:24
by hillfooter
xx
Lost another girl :(

Started by Knight Family on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 21:58
by LittleRedHen
sad
I've Lost my Alice

Started by Flowerpower136 on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 21:06
by whistler
xx
Anyone lost a Legbar?

Started by scabs on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 21:17
by raeburg

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 39 queries.