Growing in gro-bags, is this space saving idea any good?....

• 4 Replies

Kagganz

On my 'googling' travels I came across this idea one chap had about space saving whilst growing stuff in grow bags and I thought it sounded pretty nifty, (but what do I know?)  :?

He say's:

In my gro bags, I grow 2 toms, 2 peppers, 2 courgettes, infact 2 of everything, except sweetcorn........I get 4 of them in one bag................
But all my bags are slit across the width  and folded in half. like saddle bags. They stand upright and will even hold a bamboo cane upright too. I do this as I don't have a crop bar along the length of my polytunnel and also the bag being upright holds more water then flat. I don't have borders either as the whole of my polytunnel is membraned.

Sooooo my question is ...... as  I would be growing in an 8 x 6 greenhouse,  would I gain any extra space for growing more plants in there using this  bending in half idea? (the grow bag not me) or am I asking for trouble with the width of all the plants? :D  

I have toms, cucumbers, courgettes and peppers.......

What do you experienced lads and lasses think  :roll:

Thanks xx

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:57 »
Well nothing ventured nothing gained is my motto, why don't you try 1 or 2 that way and the rest the conventional way. And see how they perform.
Just remember as with all grow bags they may dry up quick  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Yabba

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:31 »
We did something "similar" last year :

Hold the bag by one end and shake all the compost down until bag is about 2/3rds original length.

Put it on the ground as usual and fold the flap of plastic underneath.

You should now have a fat grow bag.

Then cut a panel out of the top and slap a tomato plant in at each side, and an upside down bottle in the middle to make watering/feeding a tad easier.

It's not deep enough to hold a cane without support so I just tied some string across the greenhouse and looped it round each cane

¥

tallulah

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:40 »
I would be concerned about overcrowding - I think the foliage will need a lot more space to each plant.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 13:37 »
Quote from: "tallulah"
I would be concerned about overcrowding - I think the foliage will need a lot more space to each plant.

Me too. I had toms in pots last year, and had to spread them further apart as they were getting leggy. I would imagine the risk of blight increases with plants closer together too.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
A Cool Space Saving Idea

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 14:21
by Chrysalis
xx
Squash growing space saving tip:

Started by WebSiteEvo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 16:54
by Starling
xx
Growing Veg In A Small Space HELP - Any Good Books out there or advice?

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 00:27
by eli
xx
space saving tips?

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 11:11
by archibtbm

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 38 queries.