HOW MANY FEATHERS CAN A HEN MOULT

• 8 Replies

peter rooster

HOW MANY FEATHERS CAN A HEN MOULT
« on: January 07, 2011, 20:15 »
Hi

I have 5 marans four have shed feathers by the bucket full :( but have kept some on their body. One has lost nearly all :ohmy:, the new feathers starting to come through but are still like biro refills. It is also the one that spends most time outside. I have checked the body for creepy crawlies but can see nothing. Is ther anything I can do or feed to help recovery? should I dust her with mite flee louce powder? How long before she regains all plumage?

peter rooster
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: HOW MANY FEATHERS CAN A HEN MOULT
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 20:27 »
you can if you wish increase their protein - some people give tuna (the sort in spring water as oil and salt is bad for them) others give fish variety cat food. I don't bother they get over it soon enough  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 01:15 »
I wouldn't worry last year 4 of our ex batts looked like they needed cling film and a supermarket shelf.  I had a clothes drier in an outside shed that I used to put on twice a day but OH said it really didn't make a difference!!.  They are very hardy as long as they are fed well.  Good luck my friend.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:17 »
It may have been a conincidence but when my lou was moulting a few months ago and was looking like death I gave her poultry spice and in two days she was perked up and her feathers were coming back she started eating more and now she looks great with her new coat. like I say might have happened anyway but I'd try some poultry spice if I were you
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 14:43 »
Mine like poultry spice added to their food when they go through a moult. I know that pigeon fanciers and showers of all sorts of birds use it so improve plumage.  It's been around for a very long time so it must be ok. It's basically a mixture of curry spices and is completely natural. You just add it to the food as described on the tin  :)  I did give one of my girls some tuna in spring water as she went off her legs during a complete moult at the height of the cold spell last winter. She had no feathers on and I think she had used up her reserves and just buckled under it all. Bless. I gave her some limestone flour too as had been recommended.  She was fine and her new feathers came through beautifully

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 19:18 »
Whereabouts in North Yorkshire are you? I could let you have some poulty spice if you were close. pm me if you are interested :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

peter rooster

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 15:55 »
Hi

Thank you for the tips :), I will try and get some poultry spice and see if that perks her up. Good news today the two new hans have started to lay nice dark brown eggs 8). Laying outside  :nowink:but hopefully they will start to use the nest boxes inside.

peter rooster

Elaine J

• Work = Organic Dairy Farming
    • www.2rr.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:48 »
You could try Orego-Stim to help to keep them feeling tip-top.

E.  :)

jamima

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 17:45 »
one of mine has recently malted lasted about three wks but she is fine now  :)and another one has started, they must have thousands of feathers .

xx
Feathers/Moult?

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 08:45
by Beano
xx
The Big Moult

Started by francais on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 01:46
by Lindeggs
xx
moult?

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 22:57
by Lindeggs
xx
Moult?

Started by sunshinemedic on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 19:56
by CluckyChicken

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 39 queries.