do they know which is there house

• 4 Replies

nzdunn

do they know which is there house
« on: September 21, 2009, 18:22 »
i have just got two new girlies but have got them there own house, my other 3 girlies have there house which is just enough for 3, definately couldnt get two more in there.   At the moment the two newbies are separated from the others but my plan is when i mix them together is to put there houses next to each other, they only roost/sleep in there houses they dont have runs attached, i open the doors and they have to whole garden for themselves.   Question is when i do put them together will the new girls stick to their own houses or will they all try and cram into one.   Nickyx

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: do they know which is there house
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 18:35 »
You may have to keep moving them for a while. I chicken checked last night and all the adults were where they should be, but I couldnt find the two 16 week speckled sussex only or the four 10 week old light sussex who have a lovely big ark to go in. Turns out all six had crammed themsleves into the broody ark - and I mean crammed, the space in the coop is big enough for mum and upto six chicks maximum 3 weeks old. These six idiots were all on top of each other, and had the nerve to complain when I moved them  :lol: :lol: I'm closing off the ark now, I had been leaving it open as a couple of the girls like to lay in there but they'll have to make do with the other spots now.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 19:57 »
HI ! ive got 4 hens in one house and 2 in another in different parts of the garden.  When i let them free range together they always go back to their own houses, this has never ceased to amaze me! - i must add that they were very used to their own houses before i let them free range, i suppose they were in them attached with runs for about a month before i let them out into the open garden.Funny little things :D

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 20:11 »
think thats wot i will do, leave them for a while longer so the new ones know there house before i let them all together to free range.  nickyx

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 20:18 »
Yes Nicky, keep them seperated for longer anyway, just in case of anything nasty :( Though i've had them chopping and changing depending on which way the winds blowing :lol:
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

xx
my run and house

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 16:53
by karlooben
xx
new hen house

Started by bailey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 02:00
by hillfooter
xx
Why won't my hen fly up into its house?

Started by Catk on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 06:11
by DD.
xx
Hen house

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 21:08
by Foxy

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 36 queries.