Painting glyphosate onto cut stem(sealed with sellotape+plastic bag)

• 13 Replies

green_fingered_ash

Is this feasible, or does it actually have to be put onto the leaves?  :unsure:

Edit title for ease of searching.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 14:11 by argyllie »

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
Sounds long winded - just dig the * up!  :D

prakash_mib

no I think. the leaves take the chemical with water through its capilaries towards the root. and kills the root.
what kind of stem you are talking about? if it is thick then you are talking something like the tree trunk killer kind of weedkiller.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Coach

• Experienced Member
I did read once (can't any more) that you put rubber gloves on pour glyphosate on them and wipe them over the weeds leaves. Supposed to work!!!
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

green_fingered_ash

rethinking it, it makes more sense to rip up the weeds, heavily mulching and touching up any resurfacing growth with weed killer (then remulching that area)

With the mulch (cardboard and paper) restricting growth and the regrowth only bringing toxic chemicals to the already weakened plant, they should all die (hopefully)

anyone think the above is a good idea?

crh75

Sounds to me like you are trying to over complicate matters. Dig out what you can, then go over it a second time, again if time allows. It will be easy second time round.  Early next spring you can go over it again, digging in manure etc.  Any new growth will be easy to get out.
The trick is to not let the weeds get too big before you dig or hoe, that way they never get estabished and become a big issue.

peterjf

glyphosate ,

use a sprayer , in dry conditions ,

watch out for wind drift , spraying your neighbours crops / garden

the tiny droplets stick to the leaves of the plant and are taken down to to the roots ,

using a watering can is a total waste of glyphosate,

might be a little late in the year to use glyphote

green_fingered_ash

I think your right, i will save it for early in the year if needed or just use it to spray some plant that has taken over the back of my garden

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Use an old paintbrush and paint neat Glyphosate onto new growth in the spring forget a watering can very wasteful.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

bigben

I have read that people make a mix with a bit of wallpaper paste which makes it easier to paint onto the plant.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
I did read once (can't any more) that you put rubber gloves on pour glyphosate on them and wipe them over the weeds leaves. Supposed to work!!!

Yes - You are supposed to put on rubber gloves with woolen ones over the top, then dip in and wipe the weeds.  =  I always thought that one sounded good till I tried it and dripped  stuff over everything, :blink: gave it up after about 3 minutes :nowink:

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
Damn! Spent my round up budget on a watering can version rather than the one with the pump spray! Would a regular sprayer work? Apart from giving me hand cramps obviously.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
No reason why it wouldn't work, just make sure it's labelled properly so you don't forget it's contained herbicide at some point.  I wouldn't want to reuse it as an ordinary sprayer afterwards - keep it just for glyphosate.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
Yeah thanks Yorkie,  would do that as a matter of course - gonna do a test strip tomorrow. See if it's effective on the short stuff (thats still sprouting this late in the season!).

When it comes to the couch that's up to waist height, I'll use the watering can and spray a bit later with my top tip of adding a teaspoon of milk as a cheap surfectant!

xx
stem rot?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 14:03
by mumofstig
xx
potato stem

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 09:53
by DD.
xx
Cucumber stem

Started by CluelessCarrot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 15:42
by mumofstig
xx
Hollow stem

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2016, 06:48
by rogertb

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 38 queries.