new to keeping chickens

• 7 Replies

Sue33

new to keeping chickens
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:37 »

hello everyone,

I've been reading lots of your messages on this site over the last couple of days, we've recently got 4 rhode island reds, they're 22 weeks old now and two of them are laying.  They're really entertaining and the whole family is enjoying looking after them.

Can I ask a question, I have read about dogs eating chicken poop but my dog Trixy, a springer spaniel hasn't done that yet, but she's quite poorly today, no brekkie, really listless, she was sick, green bile. Now, do I put it down to her drinking from the pond and eating grass over the weekend, or is there actually something dogs can catch from chickens, I've tried to find some information on the net and nothing is coming up.   We've all been out in the garden over Easter with the chooks and dog and they're getting along quite well although she does seem to like rounding them up and putting them back in their run. lol

Anyway, I'm probably paranoid but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sue

Vember

Re: new to keeping chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58 »
I've got 5 dogs, 3 of which run with the birds eat their poops etc and they've never been ill from them :)

If it were me I'd put it down to the pond and grass :D

Only other thing would be do you use poison against rats & or mice?

Hope she perks up soon :)

Welcome to the Hen House by the way :D

Sarah :)

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 13:00 »

hello everyone,

I've been reading lots of your messages on this site over the last couple of days, we've recently got 4 rhode island reds, they're 22 weeks old now and two of them are laying.  They're really entertaining and the whole family is enjoying looking after them.

Can I ask a question, I have read about dogs eating chicken poop but my dog Trixy, a springer spaniel hasn't done that yet, but she's quite poorly today, no brekkie, really listless, she was sick, green bile. Now, do I put it down to her drinking from the pond and eating grass over the weekend, or is there actually something dogs can catch from chickens, I've tried to find some information on the net and nothing is coming up.   We've all been out in the garden over Easter with the chooks and dog and they're getting along quite well although she does seem to like rounding them up and putting them back in their run. lol

Anyway, I'm probably paranoid but any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sue

I'd say it is probably drinking from the pond, but an online diagnosis is not a good idea. I'd get her to the vet as soon as possible.  Take her temperature.  It should be between 38 and 39 Celsius.  If it's above that, she's got a fever.  If it's below 38, there's also a problem.
Have you put any rodent poison down anywhere?

Hope this helps

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Sue33

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 14:36 »

thanks for your replies, we haven't put any poison down, she did this a couple of times last year and we put it down to the grass/pond I was just paranoid that she could have "caught" something from the chooks.  I'll keep an eye on her and take her to the vets if she doesn't perk up, she is drinking water but not eating...

One other question, I've read a lot of people give the chickens corn, is that sweetcorn from a tin, or some other form of corn and if so, where can I get it from?  And the oystershell? 

Thanks, Sue

matilda duck

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 15:31 »
Hiya ...welcome :nowink:

If your dog was eating grass over the weekend it usually indicates they are unwell.  And again drinking out of the pond isn't bad for them.  There are lots of bacterior in ponds good and bad and nature has a way of being clever.  The pond water will help with the dogs gut enabling the good bacterior to heal.  Basically like us having Yakult.  But if the dog doesn't pick up soon get  her to a vet.  Sending hugs  x

Most of us on here give our chickens corn in the afternoon it's a treat for them.  You can get it from Horsey places or where-ever you have your layers pellets from.  Grit is given to help with the shell... oystershell is a bit stronger I think.  Again go to your local horesy place for these (they are usually cheeper than stores)!!
Hope that helps  x

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 16:37 »
you can get corn, but we feed ours sweetcorn as a treat (because they won't touch proper corn - it's not treaty enough...)

Sue33

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:32 »

thank you for your replies, she seems to be perking up a bit today, had a few biscuits and a wander out in the garden to go to the loo which looked normal ......... I'll give her
half a tin of dog food tonight see if she fancies that, and keeps it down!

I gave the chooks some sweetcorn last night, they are sooo funny, I'll have to stock up
on the corn and grit next time I go to the farm shop.  We've had some lovely eggs from two of them, never really thought about eggs before, but isn't it amazing how they're made!!

I'm loving the site, spending all day reading everyone's posts.

matilda duck

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 11:26 »
Ahhh glad your dog is a bit better.   Sounds like you'll fit in just right here. We all spend more time reading each others posts....we do get work done in a round about kind of fashion :lol:

xx
Keeping Chickens

Started by Lilac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 19:53
by SnooziSuzi
xx
keeping chickens

Started by tomtomgo44 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 10:10
by poultrygeist
smiley
new to keeping chickens

Started by jony worrall on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 09:12
by toasted
xx
New to keeping chickens

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 21:43
by andreadon

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 38 queries.