scales

• 8 Replies

chrissie B

scales
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:38 »
ive had a set of digital scales for 2 years worked great and converts all the usual stuff making a paul holliwood loaf the the other day I weighe d the milk and put it to warm and went to do the flour and scales went mad so I had to use the cup measure ment to finish my loaf , all my spoons are in millilitres and what I want to know is if I want a gram measurement will these be the same as the millimetres , ive googled but just get volume and mass thrown at me , hubby bought me some scales but they don't do small measurements in grams , the paul holliwood loaf nearly took over my porch when I was proving it , imdoing another so better check on it .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

PAULW

• Experienced Member
Re: scales
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35 »
You may be able to snatch another few minutes of life if you take the batteries out ( 2? ) and swap them over put them back in and switch on again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 13:05 »
This site lets you set your ingredient, then put in a weight and it converts to ml or teaspoons - or vice versa ;)

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 14:36 »
thanks all , its not the battery put a new one in it just keeps running through the numbers , ive done a comparison weight , 2 apples on the new scale and then on the digital it allways comes our 35g more .
chrissie b

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 20:47 »
old fashioned balance scales no batteries! ;)
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37 »
A gram and a ml will be equal, in theory. My digital scales will measure in mls and grams and both are the same. I have tried switching between mls and grams with all kinds of ingredients to test it. However, when I have tried 'weighing' the mls, I usually find the mixture ends up wetter than if I use my measuring spoons. This could probably be caused by me not completely filling the spoon, or losing a little as I transfer it I suppose. I don' t think you would find any difference so great as to ruin your bake.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:55 »
A gram and a ml will be equal, in theory

That only applies to water, I'm afraid, althought it's probably near enough for small gram weighings.

With things like flour and sugar it doesn't work.

240mls (I cup) of flour weighs 120g, and 1 cup of sugar weighs 200g.

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 23:03 »
im  managing to get around it , it just means measuring with th escales and spoons and cups that also have ml on so much washing up ha ha , then my cooking usually comes with a lot of washing up .
chrissie b

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:01 »
Glad you are getting around it, you could put a digital spoon on your wish list for the interval, they are only a few pounds and weigh all the smaller amounts accurately.   :)

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 29 queries.