Well water

• 19 Replies

Trillium

Well water
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 02:02 »
Having had wells in every house I've lived in, I think yours is a wise move, B.Ben. Concrete liners are the best as they'll last a long time, far more preferable than metal which can eventually give a 'tinny' taste to the water. And you always need the surplus below the water level, or as someone else put it, you'll run out too quickly. Once the well is finished, you'll need to keep an eye on the levels for a month or 2 to see just how much you use and how fast the well replenishes. If we did several loads of laundry in one day, then we could have a few short showers but no garden watering. That had to wait until next day when the level topped itself. If your well guy doesn't suggest it, then after they finish and the mud settles, pour 1 cup of household bleach into the well to kill existing pathogens. Don't use this on the garden until the faint bleachy taste goes away, often by the 2nd day. Repeat once a year to keep the well fresh.

Your's isn't a particularly deep well but should serve you well considering your situation. My current well is a drilled one, 270 ft (67.5M)with the level at 240ft (60 M) and cost  about 37 quid per M plus all the extras. The bill for that one really hurt but dug wells are now forbidden by law where I live.

Balaton Ben

Well water
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 15:16 »
The Well digging team of 4 turned up at 7am this morning and had a beer before digging out a slightly bigger round of 1 metre by 1 meter down [topsoil].  Rigged up a tripod gantry with steel hawser windlass, had another beer and then continued down through extremely sandy soil to the water table which was about 6 metres.   Had another beer and then started lowering the 1 metre concrete interlocking sleeves.  Had another beer and then continued excavating by hand sending up buckets of sandy sludge and lowering more sleeves down using 9 metres.  Had another beer each. Put the final sleeve level with the ground to give a 1 metre platform. [The lagged the joints between the sleeves with strips of some material soaked in a cement solution] Dismantled and cleared their equipment and were gone before 2pm....job done!
I've just got to decide what to raise the water with and what to do with the hugh pile of sandy soil on my lawn!.....any suggestions?
Regards, Ben

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Well water
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 15:27 »
the obvious is a bucket and rope!

i would first consider an electric submersible pump, and some suitable waterproof cable and switchgear. But why not look into some form of wind pump?

I was expecting your well to have been a boretube, say 6inch diameter, for which a pump would have been easy. whatever pump you use will need to be self contained and have a pipe system of its own.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Trillium

Well water
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 15:15 »
Zak's right - lots of buckets and sweat, unless you know someone with a tractor and bucket to level it out or move it.

In the early 1900's in Ontario, farms everywhere watered cattle with small wells like yours using a small windmill unit, about 20 ft tall with an attached pump. The troughs self-filled as the cattle drank so they were located out in the fields where they were needed. Short of a hurricane, almost nothing went wrong with them, other than eventually going out of fashion (can you believe!). What a shame we don't use more today. Try Google for info.

Balaton Ben

Well water
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 21:25 »
Forgot to post that I decided on a submersible elec pump in the end and it works very well [no pun intended] which is just as well [oh dear!!] as whereas UK has had rather a lot of rain, we have had very hot weather for months and our first real rain today.
Once again many thanks to members for your advice.

xx
Managing water

Started by coldandwindy on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 19:09
by grinling
xx
Water magic

Started by DIGGER on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 06, 2017, 22:24
by grinling
xx
Collecting water

Started by mrswashi on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 23:44
by mrswashi
xx
Help with water butt

Started by wizzywig27 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 09:45
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.