bamboo frame for runner and broad beans

• 5 Replies

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
bamboo frame for runner and broad beans
« on: May 18, 2013, 17:38 »
I've just got my bamboo poles for my beans but would like some construction advice. I'm thinking of two rows of poles with one across the top. How would you attach them together? Twine? Or string? Or wire? Or is a wigwam better? I'm hoping to do it tomorrow  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: bamboo frame for runner and broad beans
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 17:54 »
An arrangement which stops the beans growing towards each other and becoming congested at the top is usually considered to be best - in that respect the traditional inverted "V" is better than a wigwam, although a wigwam is less likely to blow over on a windy site.

From the point of view of growing and picking an "X" formation is very good (imagine your first inverted "V" arrangement but with the crossover point moved half way down the uprights - the beans grow away rather than towards each other and most of them hang down very conveniently for picking.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 18:03 »
Thanks Jay, an X sounds like a clever idea and would make picking easier. Also a lower centre of gravity might make it more sturdy in wind.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 18:08 »
You'll be fine with new canes - the "X" is a bit risky with old, brittle canes as some of the weight is unsupported and they can snap.

If you search the forum (probably just "X" would do it) you will find other possibilities, also search for the "Munty frame" if you really want to fill your boots with ideas!

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 22:18 »
The munty frame looks great - but more challenbing to build. As the canes are new I think I'll try the X frame and keep my fingers crossed about the weight.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 23:22 »
Your title says broad beans and runners, but I think you would need a different kind of frame for runner beans to broad beans. You need stout posts at each corner with wire or string around for broad beans.
Anne

xx
bamboo ball joiners

Started by Charl89 on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 19:33
by moose
xx
just a frame

Started by cissie on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 13:10
by cissie
xx
Using old climbing frame

Started by chillimummy on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2013, 09:57
by chillimummy
xx
Cold frame..

Started by jenny53 on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 07:49
by Leedsniner

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 37 queries.