I need a drill…

• 14 Replies

rowan57

• Experienced Member
I need a drill…
« on: March 04, 2014, 20:59 »
I need a decent drill for use around the house. I live in a 1950's solid brick semi with brick internal walls that seem to destroy the batteries of cordless drills so I am thinking corded. BUT I then get lost in all the technical jargon. I want to be able to drill holes in brick walls is the bottom line. What say ye? Haven't got a million quid to spend, something under a hundred bob would suit.

Growster...

Re: I need a drill…
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 22:00 »
I think you need a PSB drill, Rowan.

I don't have one, but a Daught used one in her London flat, and saved all the noise from the other residents, who were somewhat fazed at the previous noise from an ordinary hammer drill they'd been using!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 22:06 »
Do you mean an SDS drill, Growster?  Don't think broccoli has such rapier-like qualities, no matter how poorly you cook it  ;)

I have a corded hammer drill which does drill into bricks, but an SDS one is much more powerful (and expensive, I think).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:16 »
Ha ha ha, Yorkie, you are right, but the one I was looking at was a Bosch which is their own model I think...

Mind you, having just noticed the first little shoots on the PSB, I do have it on the brain more than somewhat!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:57 »
The makes to look for are, going up in price bosch -hitachi-makita.
 If your brickwork is very hard and kills masonry bits an sds drill bit is far more expensive to replace than a standard one. :(
A large drill will fly through brick drilling but is not nice to use on smaller drilling jobs ,a smaller drill slower but easier to control.
If you do not go for sds get a keyed chuck!

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:19 »
I have stubborn bricks too.  >:(

What drill you need depends on what you're drilling holes for, I have a 5kg SDS drill which I bought to drill big holes in the wall to run cables / pipes and it's excellent at it, you can forget trying to drill a 6mm holes accurately to put a shelf up.

If you're drilling 2-3" to plug and screw forget the cordless stuff, until you pay serious money they just wont hack it. I'd buy a Percussion drill with the highest rpm you can afford, if you want it to last or if you're drilling lots look for a good metal gearbox.  Anything from £30-£70 will perform much the same.

Also check what you're drilling with - most of the set or cheap drill bits are soft as butter, buy good drill bits (at least the dewalt extreme) it will make all the difference.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 17:05 »
I'm essentially looking to put up shelves, picture hooks, normal household things BUT even that seems impossible with a cordless. Would rather invest the 100 notes properly and get a decent bit of gear, thinking Bosch 2kg SDS at the moment?

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 17:37 »
You will not go wrong with the Bosch Rowan. Try to get the sds chuck and adaptor which will make the drill more versatile.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 17:40 »
There's a 2KG Bosh on offer at screwfix at the moment http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-plus-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453 Looks a nice bit of kit, I've not used the lighter sds stuff, it will certainly drill the bricks but Im not sure if it would be too aggressive.  :wub:

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 20:54 »
There's a 2KG Bosh on offer at screwfix at the moment http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-plus-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453 Looks a nice bit of kit, I've not used the lighter sds stuff, it will certainly drill the bricks but Im not sure if it would be too aggressive.  :wub:

Done! I got a nice DeWalt set of bits too, the chuck adapter & wood bits will need to wait til next month!

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 21:23 »

Done! I got a nice DeWalt set of bits too, the chuck adapter & wood bits will need to wait til next month!

Should add thanks for all the help guys! Here's to putting up shelves!

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 08:03 »
Did you invest in a cable/pipe finder too ?  :D :D

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 07:02 »
No but good thought! Luckily most of the pipes run through the floors then visibly over the walls, and where wiring has been added more recently it is quite visible. I will get one / both from my local hardware store though.

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 08:30 »
They are a worthwhile thing to have , the ones with the stud/joist finder can save you a lot of time .
Spend a bit of time fine tuning the sensitivity every time you use it by going over known live wires or buried pipework.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 18:20 »
Will do, thank you!

Got the drill today, feels just perfect!

xx
seed drill

Started by acer on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 22:00
by acer
xx
seed drill ?

Started by Alison85 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 20:53
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Drill head wobble?

Started by Salmo on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 07:33
by Salmo
xx
Seed drill attachment

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post June 14, 2008, 21:33
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 38 queries.