Hose pipes

• 8 Replies

cc

• Experienced Member
Hose pipes
« on: March 29, 2019, 14:01 »
I am going to need a seriously long hose pipe, anyone used this brand or similar. Any recommendations considered.
https://www.wilko.com/hozelock-75m-superhoze-expandable-hosepipe/p/0477642

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
Re: Hose pipes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 16:40 »
I use this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Ultimate-Hose-50-m/dp/B00AZVV0YY/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=hose+pipe&qid=1553877410&s=gateway&sr=8-19
(the ultimate one)

This is a very good deal, as I bought the 30 metre one for a similar price! It's the best hose I've ever used and it came top in a big hose review in Gardeners world mag or which mag, I can't remember now.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 16:41 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 20:24 »

If you want a megga long & strong hosepipe I should try a builders merchants.

Cheers,   Tony. 8)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 07:13 »
I am going to need a seriously long hose pipe, anyone used this brand or similar. Any recommendations considered.
https://www.wilko.com/hozelock-75m-superhoze-expandable-hosepipe/p/0477642

Wilko appear to have made a mistake in the URL you have quoted - as the description makes clear the hose is actually only 7.5m, not 75m.

I've had good service from braided reinforced hoses, despite leaving them in situ outdoors all season, although I do store them on a reel over winter. They seem to last for at least 5 years before starting to degrade and develop problems. You can use connectors to join 2 or more together to get the total length you need, and although they are obviously a weak point they are usually reliable for at least one season and are reasonably cheap to replace.

Some very cheap hoses are made from thinner plastic which can make them more prone to kinking, and also cause problems with not being able to tighten the end fittings enough to work reliably.
Last one I bought (but 30m in length) was:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/fitt-50m-heavy-braided-nts-wintech-hose/6545j

No problems at all with it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:53 »
I love the expanding hosepipes - they're so light and easy to move around with, and never get kinked!  :) 

That being said, they don't seem to last as long, but that could just be my fault!  ::)

Just a few things to bear in mind if you decide to buy one:-
1.  They never expand to the length they're supposed to reach to, so buy one longer than you need;
2.  Look for one with brass (rather than plastic) fittings, and preferably double lined;
3.  Wait for it to fill before using it - people complain about lack of water pressure, but you won't get good pressure if it's still filling;
4.  Don't overstretch it, as the inner bladder can become detached leading to hours of endless fun trying to find it and re-attach (easier to buy a new one tbh);
5.  Try not to walk over it when it's deflated to avoid damaging the inner lining.

Despite all of the above, I wouldn't go back to a coiled hose now and they're a blessing for anyone with mobility/strength issues.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 17:21 »
Auntie, good to see you again!

We use those expanding ones, sometimes connected to a permanent fixed hose, hidden around the garden!

They're quite cheap now, and have the benefit of a decent 'gun' with all sorts of spray types too!

I reckon one lasts about three years, and we keep it in a cardboard box, tucked away in the dark in the shed, so don't have to watch out for perishing etc! Your several tips are valid of course, and whan all's said and done they're a pretty good hose!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 19:27 »
I can recommend Hozelock, especially for their durability. For reasons I won't bore you with I've had a 100M hose (two 50M lengths) lying out in the field between my polytunnel and the nearest stand-pipe for at least ten years. It's only degradation is where something gnawed at it, probably a rat, a few years ago. As a previous poster reported, this is easily fixed by cutting out the damaged portion and rejoining the two parts with a Hozelock plastic joint

jambop

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 20:40 »
Given up on hose pipes as such. I am in the process of installing a drip feed irrigation system by Rain Bird. The drip hose has emitters every 33cm which deliver 2.3 l/hour. It get really hot and dry down here I cannot be bothered standing playing a hose on my plot anymore. The timing programmer will switch the system on via a solenoid valve up to 6 times per day and seasonal variations can be factored in. This linked to a rain sensor will ensure the water gets to the plant roots and not all over the ground where it is not required... I hope  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 09:28 »
Just to add a little to the discussion... I use hozelock hoses too, and find it easier to have two joined as already said, simply because of the weight of them when they are rolled for storage over the Winter. Even when they are drained, they are still somehow really heavy.

This might not be that important to some, but not all growers are of a robust physical condition  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Hose connection

Started by Lavender Lass on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 11:49
by jezza
xx
Spray hose

Started by Nij48 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 20:13
by grendel
xx
Hose spray gun / nozzle

Started by sospan on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 19:29
by sospan
xx
Hose pipe fittings

Started by MoreWhisky on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 21:22
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 49 queries.