polyanthus primrose primula

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

polyanthus primrose primula
« on: January 04, 2018, 19:34 »
I've never had any inspiration to grow polyanthus but that's not to say I wouldn't like to have a go but because I'm not sure how to grow them from seed we always buy them in flower in trays or pots

so I thought I would ask if anyone grows polyanthus primrose or primula from seed and what advise you could give me because the seed is quite pricy

I have an idea they need cold germination but not sure  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: polyanthus primrose primula
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 20:40 »
Primroses grow easily from seed - they spread like mad in the wild along hedgerows and the like.
I brought one seedling home from a holiday in Cornwall and now have them popping up all over the garden :)

Perhaps that means that the seed needs to be fresh, rather than from a packet..
I'm not sure about the others, though.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 21:00 »
Ive a feeling I’ve grown them from a packet before, I can’t remember if they needed the cold to germinate,I would have just followed the instructions on the packet. I know I have a packet that I’d meant to sow this autumn/winter. I’ll try & find them out & have a look. I think I got them in 1 of the Wyevale seed sales.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:33 »
Prims need either to be germinated from very fresh seed, or ideally stored in the fridge until sown.  A lot of woodland plants are like this and the seeds enter a deep state of dormancy if treated otherwise.  I've tried cowslips and native prims from the 50p seed sales and had no success, but a cold treatment may well break them out of dormancy.

The native prims and cowslips self seed all over, the fancier polys and prims don't tend to and the seeds are pricy for all of them.  If you want native plants, it may well be cheaper to buy a couple and let them self seed  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 19:33 »
it sounds a bit of a hit and miss and it mite be better to buy a few razed plants anyway your comments are note and many thanks to all 

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 15:22 »
I've grown polyanthus from seed a few times. They do prefer to be a bit on the cool side for germination, so I've sown in March, and they've always grown well. Some plants do better than others, but I've always had 30 - 40 decent plants for bedding. It's always fun to see what colours you've got when they flower. They do best the first year, although I've also lifted, split and saved them for a second year. After that it's best to have a break or the vine weevils build up.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 20:27 »
we bought a tray of polyanthus 15  4'pots for £3.00 quid  good plants in flower very good value from our local G/C couldn't grow um for that price  ;)

xx
Primrose and Polyanthus ?

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 23:15
by compostqueen
xx
Primula leaves being eaten.

Started by Rogerrocket on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 20:04
by Rogerrocket
xx
evening primrose seeds

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 23:31
by Rene
xx
Evening primrose seeds

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 18:21
by evie2

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 40 queries.