Got a new PC.

• 13 Replies

Goosegirl

Got a new PC.
« on: November 24, 2023, 08:18 »
My old PC has done great service for me over many years but had to get a new one as the screen wouldn't show the log in button - just had a full-sized screen showing a pic of a landscape - bah! Got a teccie out - first time I've had to get one - and he got it going with control-alt-delete - which I've heard of in the past but never used it and he advised getting a new one which I thought made sense. Now I'm upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 and everything's different so it's going to take a bit of getting used to. Even the font on here has changed. Don't mind change to a certain extent so I'll have to see how I go on. Hope I don't have to log in to all my sites! Good job I have my passwords all written down in a secret place. Anyone else use Windows 11 and how do you find it compared to the 10 version?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

Re: Got a new PC.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 16:51 »
I stopped messing about with upgrades years ago although this machine now is struggling with multiple browser tabs when youtube is involved.  I'm sure you'll get used to it very quickly though - it's only old stick in the muds like me who don't like change  :nowink:

I did have a new (to me) server delivered today, an enterprise cast-off which dates back to 2016  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 17:43 »
You're lucky that you have Windows pre-installed!

I'm writing this on a ten-year-old laptop on Windows 8, and get online in seconds, while the upgraded PC, (from Windows 10 to 11), takes an age-and-a-half to boot up, takes at least five minutes to conect to the internet, and I rarely use it at all now! It worked just fine on Windows 10!

Even today, I was wondering if I should pay a few quid to a local PC tech company to try and sort it all out...

Christine

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 19:25 »
Windows 11 and how do you find it compared to the 10 version?
Given a month and I have it tamed to do as exactly what I want alllowing for it being a computer. With it being wet and there being a major bus strike on (don't drive) I've had the time to dedicate. I'm with Growster that it takes it's time to get going (switch on, go make a mug of tea) and that's with a clean install on a new machine. And that's with a new build (watched the techie doing it, he didn't think it necessary but that Microsoft just wanted to sell more computers).

My only real coments are that I think its  email system is evil (have downloaded my old friend Thunderbird) and that it's installed browser is also evil and have installed one that I like. Ignore me as I'm a protester.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 07:47 by Christine »

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 07:10 »
I use Chrome for most things now, and have all my files up there in the cloud, unless I want to give chums a few pics etc., in which case I use the free Office Suite - never MS Office.

Also, because these ageing eyes need varifocals, the lower position of the screen makes reading stuff so much easier!

I read somewhere, that it's reckoned that even iPads may go out of fashion, because many people are just using the 'larger' screens on their mobile phones, which aren't that much smaller! I know I use the iPhone, which was my daughters' old one, much more now, and of course, I can slip it in my pocket when I go out, and Mrs Growster can ring me up if she wants to! (She never does actually, but it's nice to have the connection when I'm in Waitrose, and she feels like some expensive country bread, a few slices of smoked salmon a la Beaujolais and a bottle of Prosecco for supper)...

Try doing that with an iPad - or even a laptop!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 12:13 by Growster... »

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 08:52 »
My new PC boots up just fine but I will have to put in all my passwords again. Don't like the email bit though as all my saved ones have disappeared and so now I just have empty un-named folders - PAH! I'll have to have words with him as to why.  >:(  :mad: I've still got Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge and have yet to explore my pics as I was copying some into a folder so I could print them out and do a nice memory album for my husband as a festive present. Good job they were backed up a week ago.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 09:40 »
Tried scanning a pic yesterday and my printer won't work.  >:( Just rung a friend of mine and her husband and her said I will probably have to get a new printer as I'm on Windows 11 now. BUMMOX! Anyone got any advice as I thought the PC man hadn't done the driver CD disc to enable it to work.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 16:27 »
What printer is it?

Christine

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 16:55 »
I just plugged my Brother printer in when I got the new PC (Windows 11) and it worked without a hiccup.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 16:57 by Christine »

wighty

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 17:20 »
We've had to get a new printer as when the computer updated to Windows 11 (of it's own accord) the old one would no longer work.  Having a bit of trouble with the new one to get the wireless connection to work. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 18:00 »
I'll never buy an HP Printer again.

I have so many problems trying to get it to connect, and then it tells me I'm not using the right ink - when I've installed the cartridge they sent me  :mad: :mad: :mad:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 08:57 »
Mine is a Canon Pixma MG 7750 and yesterday he got it sorted by remote control. Haven't tried scanning or printing out today but it had better work!

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 10:06 »
Mine is a Canon Pixma MG 7750

Should work without problems - there are drivers and it's supported under windows 11.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer/products/printers/pixma/mg-series/pixma-mg7750.html?type=drivers&os=Windows%2011

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2023, 09:15 »
Just tried emailing a saved and regular contact and - guess what - the trouble I've had with the new email layout!  :mad: As he wasn't on my contact list I'm not in the best of moods today.  :mad: :mad: :mad: Managed to do it by searching his name from all the past emails that have now re-appeared after being previously deleted over the last few years.

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 54 queries.