how are you getting on with your next years seed order

• 11 Replies

rowlandwells

how are you getting on with your next years seed order
« on: November 12, 2023, 14:28 »
how are you getting on with your next years seed order now Wilco have gone along with all those lovely seed prices is it  down to the seed catalogue ordering  I see Dt Brown where doing a seed deal or perhaps you've already ordered  with you allotment association  do you stick to a regular seed supplier or off the shelf and do you stick to the same varieties each year or try new varieties?

AndyRVTR

Re: how are you getting on with your next years seed order
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 15:23 »
Just order from Wiko online when they have them in stock, that's what I'll be doing!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 21:56 by AndyRVTR »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 15:31 »
On a personal level, I just ordered more seed packets than I need from the DT Brown and Mr F's £1 seed sales.

Our allotment association commercial supplier gives us a discounted rate on various Mr F seeds, so I also stocked up in the £1 sales on seeds for the association for next year.

Haven't yet circulated that seed list among members for their orders and any further association requirements - will do that in the new year.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Christine

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 18:41 »
It'll be a short order with no allotment and only a small garden this year for me. We've done the allotment association order - no problems except the pickers and packers turned over 2 pages together and so missed out a whole page. The company supervisor had a word I believe.

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 06:32 »
The allotment association order from Kings.  My order is down to a squillion packets to go with the squillion I've already got, some pruning required I think.  In the past I bought dahlias and bulbs from Wilko, hopefully will be able to order on line

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 07:54 »
have done main order with Premier Seeds still find these very good for price and service  but also worth looking in The Range if you have nearby 2 packets of seed for a pound and they have quite a variety,
from bow like to grow

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 08:08 »
This has reminded me that I need to get my act together.
I usually make an order November, for seed potatoes plus a few seeds that sell out or are hard to find, then i take my time going through what I already have & re-ordering the old favourites later.
Potatoes will be from the place with lowest Highlands and Islands postage, common variety seeds usually from DT Brown's £1 range. Still looking for a polytunnel/self-pollinating courgette as per other thread.
Thanks for the reminder! :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 08:30 »
I did a big clean out of seeds last year.  Every time I got a bit of space from clearing something else, I sowed my half packets and old packets to see what happened.  Some were poor and past their best, but others did well and were a bonus.

With the seed box heavily thinned out I bought a lot of basics in the £1 seed sales over the late summer and autumn.  I’ve also had a small order from both Seeds of Italy and Real Seeds for a few things I needed to renew.  The seed potatoes are on order. 

I’m actually feeling quite organised so far.  Of course I have to resist browsing over the winter and buying more  ::)  :nowink:  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 08:42 »
Er, All I've bought is a packet of San Marzano plum tomatoes. I think I have enough Bleu Solaise leeks for next year (thinks, must check my seed box) and am going to try Anya and maybe another good, tasty and waxy potato to go in my big tubs. For the latter, I was thinking of Pink fir apple as I don't peel them. I'll see to it in the New Year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 12:28 »
Mine are on the way oop north as I type.
I have for years now used Premier Seeds direct, I find them really good, excellent choice and plenty of seed for not a lot of money.
I have for the last few years switched to heirloom varieties and saving the seed for the following year. Leeks, most of toms are heirloom plus a good few others.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 22:06 »
Mine are on the way oop north as I type.
I have for years now used Premier Seeds direct, I find them really good, excellent choice and plenty of seed for not a lot of money.
I have for the last few years switched to heirloom varieties and saving the seed for the following year. Leeks, most of toms are heirloom plus a good few others.
I had a couple of things from them this year. I was impressed. Germination was very good.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 13:05 »
Done mine now.
As usual have totally failed to reduce postage by getting everything from the same place! :nowink: :D

Spuds from Tamar
A few unusual things from Chiltern seeds and Premier (via Amazon).
Remainder half and half between D.T.Brown and Kings

and I bet I still think of something I forgot. :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 13:07 by coldandwindy »

xx
First order of seeds from Seekay

Started by chillimummy on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 17:25
by Mr Dog
xx
Re: Cancelled Trashco order

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2024, 18:13
by Yorkie
xx
Why have the latest posts by date not been in order?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 16:55
by Goosegirl
xx
How to divide a fish and chip order...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2017, 18:42
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 52 queries.