A sad, sad day

• 11 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

A sad, sad day
« on: November 04, 2023, 12:13 »
Just used the last of my own-grown tomatoes. Will now be supermarket ones for the next 9 months

Kleftiwallah

Re: A sad, sad day
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 12:45 »
Good morning AlaninCarlisle,

we have about a dozen San marzano and the same of some ribbed unknown variety. I'm really looking forward to those solid cannonballs.:)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 14:45 »
I've got a small bowl of tiny cherries left, they seem to be more seeds than flesh, so they're going through the sieve and into spag bol tonight. Leaves just 1 big green'un slowly ripening on the window ledge.

Soon be time to light my Deadfast candle to kill all the greenhouse nasties, ready for next year!!

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 16:58 »
Same here!

I blitzed the last few two days ago, and felt I'd lost some good chums!

They never talk to me much when I get them out of the freezer, having been passata-ed to within an inch of their lives..;0(

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 08:27 »
Alanincarlisle - you nearly gave me a heart attack wondering what on earth has happened to you. Having said that, I'm going to feel the same when I've used up all my leeks.  :blush:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 12:26 »
"Soon be time to light my Deadfast candle to kill all the greenhouse nasties, ready for next year!!"

Mum, I read only today that a bowl of crushed laurel leaves left in the GH will deter aphids, flying insects etc!

Dunno if it works, but may be cheaper...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 13:29 »
They release cyanide, Mr G,  so don’t go having a sniff.   :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 16:04 »
Mum, I read only today that a bowl of crushed laurel leaves left in the GH will deter aphids, flying insects etc!
Dunno if it works, but may be cheaper...
Thanks, but I've already got it - I meant to use it in the Spring, when the greenhouse was put back together, but never got round to it  ::)

:ohmy: :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2023, 16:28 »

‘Tis true.  Victorian butterfly hunters burned dried laurel leaves to make the smoke they used in their collection jars.

Having said that vine weevils will happily munch laurel leaves, so it’s toxicity does not guarantee insect control.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 05:25 »
Just used the last of my own-grown tomatoes. Will now be supermarket ones for the next 9 months

My second planting of tomatoes  is just starting to ripen. I wish I could share some with you!  Growing outdoors but in pots; a brown cherry tomato and a red grape tomato, varieties unknown. They are sheltered under plastic, against the house, near a clothes dryer vent.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 22:02 »
I’ve still got a few trays of various toms ripening in the conservatory, a first for me, only today I went through them &roasted a full meat tin full to use some as a pasta sauce. I did wonder how much longer they’d left, had to discard a few squashy, mouldy ones
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 07:12 »
It has been an odd year for harvests.  I went into the garden and picked a washing-up bowl of apples yesterday.  These were the ones I left as they were small and unripe, but now they have filled out and are lovely.  Sweet, crisp and delicious  :)

The other slightly bonkers harvest was 2 figs.  They were the small green ones you get left with on the tree at the end of the season.  I would have normally picked them off and composted them by now, but they are ripening.  They are still pretty small but a bonus none the less  :D

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 48 queries.