Soap waste

• 10 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Soap waste
« on: October 27, 2023, 14:52 »
After chucking a residual sliver of soap down the loo this morning after my shower, my mind went back to the immediate post-war days of austerity when toilet soap was a rare commodity. At home we had a soap-press into which you placed these slivers of soap. After a couple of months-worth of slivers you added a drop of water, tightened the press and hey presto, the next day you had a full sized bar of soap. Do such devices still exist today?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Soap waste
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 17:30 »
AFAIK they don't exist, but I haven't shopped for one.  You might just Google "soap press" or something like that.

When I'm down to a thin sliver, I usually just press the residual flexible sliver of the old bar on top of the new bar. It does the same thing as a press, they will "weld" together, but it doesn't require purchase of an additional gadget.  Pity if you like gadgets though!  :nowink:
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 07:19 »
Love the thought of a soap press, I just press the old bit onto the new bar

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 11:24 »
There is quite a lot on line about recycling soap, but most people seem to be grating it up, heating it with water into a thick paste and remoulding.

Some are using moon cake presses (available on EBay and probably other places too).  Would that work with soap slivers mushed up with a bit of water?

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 21:24 »
In my long ago submarine days we were generally viewed by the skimmers (surface navy) as a bunch of soap dodgers.  Not unreasonable in diesel boats but in boats with a nuclear kettle the distillers could generally provide enough water for a modest amount of personal cleanliness, including some short showers.  Patrols were often several months so it was generally wise to stock up before sailing with loads of stuff, including soap (preferably not powerfully scented).  As the patrol progressed and people's stocks ran low, any last slivers abandoned by the 'wise virgins' with some left would be eagerly gleaned by the 'foolish virgins' and stuck together using a bit of water and a good squeeze into a usable bar of soap.  Given that the slivers could  be of any colour the resulting commodity was generally referred to as 'rainbow soap'.

Soap-related rambling.
Now years afterwards as each bar of Wrights Coal Tar soap reaches sliver point, I squeeze it into the new bar.   I like the Wrights stuff even though it stopped having anything to do with actual coal tar decades ago.   However the latest new bar was not the same rectangular block onto which sliver-squeezing was easy.  No!   Although the length and breadth are the same as they were, one face of the block is now a deeply concave bowl.   A quick check reveals that the former 250gm bar is now in the same sized wrapper but weight 20% less at 200 gm.   Well, at least the beggars only increased the price per bar slightly.   (To reduce the risk of being noticed, the shelves were bare for a month or two so all the 250gm bars were gone before the first 200gm ones showed up).  Shrinkflation in action - it aint just food!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 20:02 »
Wright's coal tar, the best soap in the world  :)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 06:12 »
Pears soap gives it a good run for the money...

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 06:26 »
Don't forget Imperial leather, along with pears and wrights coal tar the ones I buy.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 08:32 »
I get Dove as it seems to last ages but might just try some Pears for a change. Wright's coal tar - mmm, not sure if I'd come out of the bath smelling of tarmac!  :nowink:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 10:15 »
Goose girl, coal tar soap reminds me of time spent with my dad at the allotment I think that's what draws me to it.

Hortic

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 11:04 »
I had friends with a soap press in Edinburgh. It produced multicoloured marbled soap bars.
Reuse, repair, recycle.

xx
Soap scum/Lime scale on bath-tub

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post November 25, 2017, 10:55
by 8doubles
xx
No waste in the NHS.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2022, 10:50
by hasbeans
xx
NHS Waste.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 19:48
by wighty
xx
I save it - they waste it !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post July 25, 2018, 13:36
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 47 queries.