Batten down the hatches on Wednesday.

• 37 Replies

AndyRVTR

Re: Batten down the hatches on Wednesday.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2023, 14:35 »
The dome of South Shields lighthouse (not far from me) has been blown clean off this afternoon!!   :ohmy: :ohmy:

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 20:15 »
The dome of South Shields lighthouse (not far from me) has been blown clean off this afternoon!!   :ohmy: :ohmy:

:ohmy: Goodness that is severe
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2023, 08:56 »
Do you think it was more due to the direction the wind came from?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2023, 09:05 »
I've fished the South Shields pier (and others) during 'reet hoolies' over the years, but I think it was a mixture of the sea plus the wind. Once the glass in the top was smashed by the enormous waves, the dome would probably have been dislodged and the wind did the rest. That lighthouse wasn't one of the most well maintained lighthouses in the country I can tell you.
Its got off lightly unlike the North Shields pier which was severely damaged during the storms of 1895!!
FB_IMG_1697875577027_copy_226x168.jpg
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:09 by AndyRVTR »

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2023, 18:31 »
On the other side of the churchyard here, there are several ash and sycamore trees, and when the wind is in the South West, they chuck all their aeroplane seeds all over our house and garden, such that the gutters get clogged up pretty damn quick!

Today, I unblocked the conservatory gutter on the South wall, and nearly got drowned by the deluge of about a  million gallons of water and those blasted seeds and leaves...

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2023, 08:10 »
Pics please!  :lol:

wighty

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2023, 16:40 »
We have a similar problem with next door's beech trees.   They drop their seed pods, nut casings, we've spent the last three weekends sweeping them up as they are not nice to tread on. We offered to pay half the cost of getting their trees lowered, but we were told 'the little birdies like them'. They're Buhdists apparently ::) and  she was so exc ited when they had a family of mice living in the garden. I wasn't when I found one running round my kitchen and hiding under the fridge!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2023, 10:14 »
It looks like the 1st and 2nd of November may be a bit blowy and moist... :ohmy:
Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 09:13 »
OMG! Please keep safe all of you. I have friends in Jersey who may well be making an unexpected visit to us. They do a jolly good curry but I don't think it could be blamed on that.  ???

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2023, 12:46 »
OMG! Please keep safe all of you. I have friends in Jersey who may well be making an unexpected visit to us. They do a jolly good curry but I don't think it could be blamed on that.  ???

Sheer poetry, GG...

Only breezy here, but lots of rain, and at this time of year, the leaves blow out of the churchyard and onto our roof, so I have to get a chum in to do the gutters...

I managed to free up several thousand gallons of water from the conservatory roof the other day though - the spout was blocked with a forest-load of Sycamore areoplanes...

Lardman

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2023, 13:07 »
Only breezy here, but lots of rain, and at this time of year, the leaves blow out of the churchyard and onto our roof, so I have to get a chum in to do the gutters...

I managed to free up several thousand gallons of water from the conservatory roof the other day though - the spout was blocked with a forest-load of Sycamore areoplanes...

Have you reached the age when gutter hedgehogs would be a good idea? I have a large sycamore opposite and it cause no end of problems, one of these days I'll get round to cleaning the gutters out completely and installing them here.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2023, 13:34 »
I have done what I can.  Moved anything vulnerable in the garden and cancelled todays urgent hospital appt
as I cannot stand up in these winds.  It is in the lap of the weather gods now.  But I feel so sorry for people who's homes and businesses are damaged.    Stay in and safe.   Do not go out to rescue something in the garden and get hit by a fence panel.      Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2023, 14:36 »
Just looked at the forecast for here and they say maybe 67mph winds at 7am tomorrow  :ohmy:
I've just been out and moved anything that I think might blow towards the greenhouse, into the lee of the hedge. The SE Electricity Board are out on their high lift platform machines, cutting branches that are anywhere near the overhead cables and pylons, so they must be worried about what's to come...

Lardman

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2023, 14:44 »
Just looked at the forecast for here and they say maybe 67mph winds at 7am tomorrow  :ohmy:
:ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:

I've just realised my home insurance cover ended Sunday at midnight :ohmy: I've hastily rearranged cover just in case, although it's only forecast 25mph here, that's enough.

xx
Batten down the hatches! Storm Helene

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 22:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 54 queries.