What do I go for for Christmas?

• 13 Replies

bigben

What do I go for for Christmas?
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:18 »
I recently heard I am near the top of the waiting list and will get my own allotment soon. All those currently not worked are absolute jungles with very overgrown hedges on 4 sides. It would be nice to have it cleared for the newbie but apparently this is not the norm. I could use some recommendations on what to get myself as a Christmas pressie. I thought about a petrol hedge cutter, a petrol strimmer or a combi setup with attachments for different jobs.

My concern with the combi setup is the compromise between something that does everything but does nothing very well and will it last?

A strimmer would be helpful to clear the ground and let me cover some while I get on and dig- but I imagine it probably will not cope with brambles. Do I need a brushcutter?

The hedgecutter will not cope with removing the thickness of the initial cut I need to remove (I will need to use loppers) but should sort the rest out.

With a budget of say £150 am I better spending it on something that does one job well or both less well? .

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
Re: What do I go for for Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:29 »
Have a look at this on ebay. Dont know what make it is gut at the price for brand new if it only lasts 2 or 3 years it will have paid for itself no prob

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/34cc-LONG-REACH-HEDGE-TRIMMER-CHAINSAW-STRIMMER_W0QQitemZ150388967695QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA?hash=item2303e1890f
wish I was a cat

madcat

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:38 »
Since you only want it once - hire the brush cutter.  A half days hire and it will all be chopped off and then you can have a big bonfire.   See tips elsewhere on that ....  :D :D  Chop back the hedge with the lopers, chuck the branches on the fire and then you can see what you have got.

Spend your Christmas money on a good spade and fork and shears, hoe and sharpening stone.  All those roots are going to have to be dug out and then the plot dug each year.  The hedge will need cutting next year, but once you have lopped it this year the worse is done.  Good tools will keep on going and going and going.  Unlike my back!   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

noshed

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 11:41 »
I agree with MC you'll need a spade and a fork. I like asadas as well - good for clearing ground.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

savbo

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 16:10 »
With that budget I'd agree with previous posts. I had a stihl combi (left it with Bro-in-law when we moved) which was brilliant but over £500 (we had 200m of huge privet hedge to maintain so I reckon paid for itself in 2 years)...

cheaper types are often horrible design - a mcullogh needed total disassembly to change the pull-cord!

M

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 18:33 »
yup, hire the big stuff, and buy a damn good fork, spade and hoe! :)

Rixy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 22:27 »
Hire a petrol strimmer with blade attachment, that will take care off all your weeds including brambles.  Then put the rest of your budget towards a decent fork, spade, hoe and rake.
Not a complete idiot, bits of me are missing.

too many girls

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 15:55 »
spend you £150 on paying someone to go and do it for you :D

bigben

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:09 »
Thanks for the ideas guys - a friend is loaning me his combo ryobi setup so I can have a play with this and try it out. I dont think it has a brush cutter bit but does have a strimmer and hedgecutter so I will see how it performs and perhaps buy one if it does the biz!

smud6ie

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 20:05 »
Most  machines perform ok! its how long it performs ok for and how easy it is to maintain that  should also be considered when making a purchase.
Smud6ie

bigben

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 21:02 »
Thanks for the replies - just to bring you all up to date -I got my new plot on Christmas Eve and after looking round at stimmers etc I bought a little 2 stroke generator. I have used it a few times now and for £49.95 it has meant I can plug in my electric hedgecutter and strimmer and I have made a real dent in the jungle that is my new plot. As the last person said - "how long do they perform ok for" is a key issue. However for the price I think I would have paid this much to hire a brush cutter and still had the hedge to deal with. The generator is small enough to carry on when I need to use it since I would not leave any power tools on the site.
Cheers!

2peasinapod

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 22:20 »
our site and most i put my name on the list for had heavy duty tools you can hire for a nominal charge. ask the committe members or your neibours if such a scheem is in operation on your site.
dont permissum dandelions frendo vos down.

If it cant be pulled by hand,
1; its not ready
2; use a landrover...

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 23:03 »
sorry but on my high-horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do it by hand!!!!!!
had a caravan in a quiet valley in wales for many years so relaxing and peaceful till mains elec arrived!!!! then every w'end lawnmwers etc on the go non-stop!!!
 i know it hard when u just starting off(beeen there) but enjoy the peace and quiet and the veg will come!!!!

my plot just got a grant and genny tools etc on the way and like many i'm not too happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 23:05 »
meant too say not a problem for a 1 off start to get you going!!!
 i'm not a real nutter,lol,!!!!!!!!

xx
Christmas come early!

Started by ex-cavator on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 07:35
by smud6ie
clip
Just what this shed needs at Christmas

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

38 Replies
Last post December 26, 2019, 21:09
by New shoot
xx
Christmas pressy ideas please

Started by wissy423 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 23:01
by poppies

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.