Oops Lakeland Sale

• 6 Replies

snowdrops

Oops Lakeland Sale
« on: December 29, 2017, 13:16 »
I got notigication of this on Facebook & took a look,as you do, & & a half price dehydrator just fell in my basket. At £27 I thought it would be a good place to start without spending out too much on something I might not use much. I’m going shortly to collect it, what shall I dehydrate first I wonder, my cold might be a good start if I can get in lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Oops Lakeland Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:32 »
Not sure about dehydrated cold  :lol:

If you want to have a play, have a look for some reasonably priced fruit.  Pineapple and melon are pretty sensational as snacks, cereal toppers and baking ingredients. 

I recommend this one as well.  They dry perfectly in the dehydrator and you need the vitamin C (of course candied orange peel counts  ;))

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/candied-orange-sticks

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 14:21 »
Thanks NS, I’ve got an apple in at the moment. Can you recommend a good book?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 16:01 »
The only book I have is Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook - its pretty old, but comprehensive.

There is loads on the internet and YouTube out there.  The Raw/Vegan sites can have some interesting ideas, but the basics for drying are pretty simple. I think the main way you take it all another level is by adding your own touches.

Dry another couple of apples, but dip some slices in orange juice, some in pineapple juice and some in lemon juice and water.  You could also sprinkle half of each type of dipped slice lightly with cinnamon.  This is all prior to drying btw,  6 options and they will all be different and all miles better than any dried apple ring you could buy  :)

You can also powder dried products and then they can be added to pastry, pasta, bread or cakes.  Mushroom and tomato are good savoury powders to have on hand.  Just leave them to settle for 10 minutes in the food processor before transferring them to an airtight jar, or you will wiping down the kitchen for ages.  Guess how I know this  :nowink:  :lol:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 16:14 by New shoot »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 18:21 »
Thank you for the timely comment New Shoot  :lol: :lol:  I shall be grinding the dehydrated chillies in this coming week, and that reminder may make all the difference between success and no nasal membranes to speak of  :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Snowy, that is the dehydrator I have, and jolly good it is too :D :D :D

Try banana slices about 0.5cm thick for something akin to banana toffee. I have to ration these for the grandchildren  :lol: :lol:  Apple slices drifted with powdered cinnamon are a huge hit too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 19:08 »
Thanks both, shall investigate all those in the new year. I suppose how long it takes depends on how thick you slice them? I brushed the very thin apple slices with undiluted lemon juice.
I thought £27 was a great bargain, how long have you had yours Sunny?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:35 »
Thanks both, shall investigate all those in the new year. I suppose how long it takes depends on how thick you slice them? I brushed the very thin apple slices with undiluted lemon juice.
I thought £27 was a great bargain, how long have you had yours Sunny?

Three years. It came with a lifetime guarantee for the trays. These go through the dishwasher, and are easy to wipe clean in between.

The things on the bottom tray dry more quickly than those at the top, so I either rotate the trays every few hours, or put thicker sliced bits at the bottom.

The smell of whatever is drying fills the house, and whereas apple slices are delicious, when I am doing onion, garlic or chillies, the dehydrator gets plugged in out in th garage :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:39 by sunshineband »

xx
Free seeds from Lakeland

Started by raeburg on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 18:58
by raeburg
xx
Free Packet of Seeds at Lakeland

Started by flowerpower on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 18:40
by sunshineband
xx
Franchi seeds on lakeland limited reduced

Started by bashful_badger on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 12:05
by mumofstig
xx
50p sale

Started by snowdrops on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2017, 17:29
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.