Best Book

• 33 Replies

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best Book
« on: April 13, 2008, 20:20 »
I'm interested to know what your opinion of the best allotment/recycling book is and why you think it is the best book.

I'm interested in growing veg and fruit, anything that involves not spending money, things that you can make out of junk that sort of thing.  Because putting it simply, I don't have a clue and I don't have any money  :lol:

And before you say if you have no money how can you buy a book, I've got some gift vouchers :wink:
Teen

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Best Book
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 20:22 »
there's a really great book, just come out.

vegatable growing - month by month.

by our very own famous author and owner of this website

MR JOHN HARRISON.

and its only 5.99

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best Book
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 20:24 »
Oops yes so there is  :oops:  ha ha that's one book, anymore.  I've got quite a few pennies to spend on my voucher  :D

Ruby Red

Best Book
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 21:30 »
I like the Carol Klein one Grow your own veg.   Its been on the telly as well. Easy to follow and nice pics.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Best Book
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 21:42 »
The Vegetable & Herb Expert - Dr. D.G. Hessayon. But he does like his chemicals, you can find alternatives though.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best Book
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 21:46 »
Yeah I have an older version of this and it is really well laid out but as you say likes the use of chemicals, and gives no alternatives.  

I would at least like to try to be organic.

mashauk

Re: Best Book
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 21:57 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
I'm interested to know what your opinion of the best allotment/recycling book is and why you think it is the best book.

I'm interested in growing veg and fruit, anything that involves not spending money, things that you can make out of junk that sort of thing.  Because putting it simply, I don't have a clue and I don't have any money  :lol:

And before you say if you have no money how can you buy a book, I've got some gift vouchers :wink:

If you've no money, why not get one out of the library first before deciding what to buy?

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best Book
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 22:02 »
I will probably do that and look around book shops too.  

I thought that a post on here might help others in choosing books too and I'm always interested in the opinions of fellow allotmenteers.  Its nice to hear reviews on books before you buy.

mashauk

Best Book
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 22:26 »
I've got a few books, mostly they contradict each other though, and they don't really take into account where you live etc.  I find it useful (as in REALLY useful!) to ask questions in here, or ask people at my plot.  For example, the guy on the next plot used to have my plot and he gives me loads of advice, told me swedes wouldn't grow (and they didn't), all sorts of stuff.  Books are fun to read but I've found some of them even seem to contradict from one chapter to another and just confuse me (mind you that's not difficult :lol: )

I like: Johns, Dr Hessayons, and Andi Cleveley's best.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best Book
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 22:37 »
I always like watching allotment programmes seeing what gizmos they've made out of old junk, that's what I'm really interested in.  I don't have an active imagination do I  :lol:  

I know what you mean about contradictory books though, I'm often confused about when to grow things as they all say something different  :roll:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Best Book
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 23:40 »
I don't know any books about making things out of junk - you just need the creative gene :)

I've listed a few books on the site but my all time favourite is sadly out of print. Grow your own fruit and vegetables by Lawrence D Hills (Faber & Faber 1979)

Books
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best Book
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 21:03 »
Thanks for directing me to the book list John.

matron

Best Book
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 21:57 »
I love my book 'Food From Your Garden' from Reader's Digest as it tells me how to grow and then what to do with it when it has grown. I also got hold of a book called 'Dictionary of Every-Day Gardening' by MR Beeton last year and although written in the 1800s it is fascinating and certainly saved our onions year before last.  :)

Trillium

Best Book
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 04:05 »
I really like all of Bob Flowerdew's books - all organic, nothing pretentious, and he covers all crops with ease and common sense. He even describes how to recycle stuff for garden use and how to turn pernicious weeds into mush to use as plant food.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Best Book
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 14:07 »
Food From Your Garden sounds like a great book, as does the Bob Flowerdew books.  Are there any Bob Flowerdew books that stand out from the rest as I am interested in recycling and veg growing as you mentioned he wrote about Trillium?

xx
Allotment Book

Started by scentedstock on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 09:19
by WG.
xx
A good Shrub and Tree Book

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 16:18
by garddwr

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 32 queries.