Ryobi expand-it problems

• 7 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Ryobi expand-it problems
« on: December 07, 2008, 17:16 »
Warning - this comes form a pair of complete technophobes so please reply in simple language!!!

had the usual teething problems with starting the engine, not helped by the fact that the spark plug remover supplied won't fit directly over the spark plug so you have to take the casing apart to get to it, then foun the damn thing won't fit anyway - by that time it had all cleared itself and started OK without having to dry out the spark plug

ANYWAy
main problem is the  engine seems to run OK, BUT it won't turn the attachment thingy (technical term :lol: ) for more than a nano second, then the engine labours and stalls - this is whilst it's still on the ground no where near a blade of grass :cry:

Any ideas please - bought it online so will be  ahassle sending it back, especially as OH has cut up the box

Celery

• Experienced Member
Ryobi expand-it problems
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 19:40 »
It soundslike the rod that connect engine to the blade has disconnected.It could be at the engine end or the blade end.

Gwiz

Ryobi expand-it problems
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 21:17 »
That's interesting.
As celery says, it could be because the parts inside the drive shaft, aren't lined up correctly.
It could also be that the choke isn't turned off before you squeeze the throttle.
It could also be that the carb needs tuning.
Or the strimmer head is "stuck"
From what you describe, it sounds like it's more a carb problem.
If so, you should see two screws on the carb marked H and L.
It sounds like your "H" screw needs to be unwound (anti clockwise) by about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. You could give the "L" screw the same treatment....
Keep us posted :D

Bigbadfrankie

Ryobi expand-it problems
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 21:17 »
I think you should get help. the engine needs tunning see the thread on tuning two stokes by shaun
always have a target
and an objective.

Bigbadfrankie

Ryobi expand-it problems
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 21:19 »
it is a two stroke and you have mixed oil with the petrol in the correct amounts :shock:  :D

Janeymiddlewife

Ryobi expand-it problems
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 22:30 »
Thanks for your help guys - it is a brand new strimmer, first time of use. My OH was on the new allotment trying to get it to work while I was on the old one dismantling the compost bin.
He hadn't read any of the instructions, and although I have asked him about the mix he just said its 1:50 so i will check the instructions just in case that's wrong and he'll have to empty it all out :cry:

OK at the risk of being very un-PC  :D  how easy is it to find/adjust  the carb and should that really be necessary on a brand new model?

Gwiz

Ryobi expand-it problems
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:23 »
It's pretty easy, and yes, it often has to be done to new equipment. That's one of the reasons why I would never recomend buying mail order ( but everyone does ) If the buyer isn't mechanically minded.
 :D

Janeymiddlewife

Ryobi expand-it problems
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 17:29 »
One of my workmates husbands (who will enjoy showing a mere woman "how it's done" :lol: ) is going to help me adjust the carb, so hopefully this will prevent the need to try & return the damn thing - he takes landrovers apart so i think a strimmer will be relatively easy for him!

xx
Ryobi expand it pole saw

Started by Salmo on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post August 21, 2018, 11:26
by Salmo
xx
Ryobi Expand-It pole pruner

Started by pairofacres on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 06:49
by Rangerkris
xx
Ryobi expand-it driveshaft problem

Started by commerlad on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post August 15, 2016, 23:10
by jezza
xx
Ryobi Expand it tiller...any good?

Started by hillfooter on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 01:17
by chriscross1966

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 28 queries.