Lock or Not

• 17 Replies

dazza

Lock or Not
« on: September 29, 2008, 21:08 »
Do you lock you sheds on your allotments ?

I dont - if any kids get on the field they can do as much damage as they like, so i figure leave it unlocked and they'll either think nothing in there, or i will at least not have to repair a broken shed !

What do you guys think - am i making it too easy ?

Darren

mashauk

Lock or Not
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 23:12 »
I do - out of habit - but it could be easily broken off as the door doesn't shut properly, there's nothing worth pinching really - they had the good spade last year!

Ice

• muck spreader
Lock or Not
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 23:29 »
Personally I would lock the shed.  A determined thief would not be put off but a tipsy, opportunist teenager might be.  But then again, I would be tempted to wire up my shed handle to the mains. :twisted:
Cheese makes everything better.

Gwiz

Lock or Not
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:01 »
I lock mine as well, so the blighters tipped it over on it's side to get in through the floor! I'd already thougt of that, it's attatched so well, it went over with the shed......... :lol:

compostqueen

Lock or Not
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:39 »
:D  :twisted:

We are lucky and don't get problems (well not up to now).  The only problems we've had are major thefts from the main shed which houses the machines. These were nicked by professionals who stole all the diesel from the neighbouring house while they were at it  :evil:

agapanthus

Lock or Not
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:27 »
I never locked mine either......easier to buy a few new tools than to buy a shed that's been destroyed by complete b#st#rds!!!!

gus

Lock or Not
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:03 »
I still put my lock on the door, buy i don't close it :!:  (so if you walk passed it it looks locked)  :) If you wanted to get in all you need to do is take the lock off and the door will open (so in theory they can take what they want but leave me a shed I can still use) :)
computer illiterate, a one finger typist but doggedly determined to keep up with this new technology and use it to help me on my allotment.

dazza

Lock or Not
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 21:08 »
Thanks - theres nothing really valuable in there - i have a rotovator in there, but i think for someone to get it off the field they would need a key or it would be an inside job  :wink: but being a small field i think its safe.

We are right next to the park so as they come over the fence my shed is one of the first !

I dont think they have had problems for a few year now..

darren

shaun

Lock or Not
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 20:23 »
no locks on mine its wide open infact it hasnt even got a door to lock  8)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

FCG

Lock or Not
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 22:30 »
Thanks for the info shaun, will be nipping up shortly. Need a new fork  :wink:

Knight Family

Lock or Not
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 23:23 »
not if i get there first! I need a new spade 10years warranty failed and snapped on 2 use! Just glad it did not cost the £10 it should have thank god for £2.50 (still going to try and get a replacement! )
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

muddifoot

• Experienced Member
Lock or Not
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 10:55 »
well, we seem to be having a serial brake-in-artist as in the last three weeks there have been too many break ins to count.  just completed a new latch and lock and bingo - broken off again on sunday nite, along with about 10-12 other sheds.  The crazy thing is the only thing stolen in all these breakins seems to be 1 jacket and 1 pair of wellies an empty box, and our sunday morning gem.  Our camper stove which we only used 4 times-but they didn't take the blue bottle of gas and with the deposit was more expensive than the stove.  So figure that one out.  But noone on the site seems to want to do something about it- so my advice i
s don't lock!     I like the idea of just putting the lock on but not locking it.

ps. the two rats I saw yesterday made me more nervous-

Gwiz

Lock or Not
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37 »
Just as a postscript to my earlier ramblings, I went up the allotment on sunday, and the little so and so's had smashed the bottom of my door off so they could get in.
Nothing taken, nothing disturbed.
Fixed shed door, and threw away padlock......
shed now open to all of addlestone's finest..... :roll:

She'sinthegarden

Lock or Not
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 21:54 »
Hi
I'm just about to put up the shed on the new lottie. We got lucky with a brand new B+Q job for next to nothing from a guy who looked like it was an 'issue' between him and his Mrs and had been told to get rid of it PDQ!
Anyway, since it's a sparkly new shed, I won't be locking it but what worries me is people going in and peeing in it at night. I know that's a bit weird. I'm not leaving anything much in it but I'd hate to have to deal with someone else's wee.   :shock:
S.i.t.g.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Lock or Not
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 22:44 »
Ive just got a brand new sparkly shed too, and it never occured to me not to lock it in case they destroy the shed itself!

Theres nowt of value in there anyway, and Ive got good stout locks on my lotty gates...but Id still worry if it wasnt locked

paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Tool Lock

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 08:21
by Fire2920
xx
Lock bars for sheds??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2007, 22:17
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 28 queries.