Unusually wide carrots

• 13 Replies

al78

Unusually wide carrots
« on: September 14, 2013, 22:13 »
Harvested some carrots earlier today, and the ones I pulled up had an unusually wide diameter, over two inches across (2 1/4 inches to be precise). The two varieties I grew were Early Nantes and Autumn King, didn't think either of those were supposed to grow fat. They weren't particularly long, just very fat at the top. I have rather heavy clay soil so wonder if that may have contributed.

Can  anyone recommend suitable varieties of carrot for heavy soil.

cheers

Adam

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Unusually wide carrots
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 22:53 »
Early Nantes are a short carrot, so will grow fat rather than grow a deeper root if left to mature.

Autumn King are the big carrots that you grow for winter, like the big ones you buy in the supermarket.
These will grow longer roots if they can get down into the soil, but the dry weather probably made the clay too hard for them - and if you watered them it would have encouraged them to stay near the surface.

Try Autumn King again for next year  :)

BobE

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 22:59 »
I have heavy clay soil and so this year I dug out a trench and refilled it with JI3.  This let my carrots get quite deep.  In a way its like planting them in a tub.
Friend nearby plants carrots in "cut in half" grow bags, on his patio.  Great success. (stand the half grow bags on end to create a deep bed).  I might try that next year.

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 23:32 »
This year I got two used baths, in each one I put 3 x 60ltr bags of quality potting compost mixed with two bags of horticultural sand. Sowed the seed and covered with enviromesh. Best carrots ever. I have now obtained two more baths for next year. Roll on.
This years crop should sit quite happilly in the baths and shouldn't get frozen like those in the ground.

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 23:43 »
What is Horticultural sand please ?

gobs

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 02:11 »
What is Horticultural sand please ?

It is fine and has no junk you do not want in your garden in it, as opposed to building sand, for example, so labelled in shops.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 02:15 »
Harvested some carrots earlier today, and the ones I pulled up had an unusually wide diameter, over two inches across (2 1/4 inches to be precise). The two varieties I grew were Early Nantes and Autumn King, didn't think either of those were supposed to grow fat. They weren't particularly long, just very fat at the top. I have rather heavy clay soil so wonder if that may have contributed.

Can  anyone recommend suitable varieties of carrot for heavy soil.

cheers

Adam

Ingot is excellent for clay growing. However, I'm unsure, I understand the problem. No roots further down, is this what you mean?

For it had been a mad year for carrots her, they all grew out of proportion in size, whatever variety and we do not complain... :D

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:05 by mumofstig »

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:09 »
I grow a fat carrot called Oxheart, on clay.  If you can lighten your clay with sand, as above, and leafmould that helps.  I've had really good results this year with Early Nantes too  :)

al78

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 16:26 »

Ingot is excellent for clay growing. However, I'm unsure, I understand the problem. No roots further down, is this what you mean?

For it had been a mad year for carrots her, they all grew out of proportion in size, whatever variety and we do not complain... :D

It isn't a problem, just a surprising observation when I dug them up. I'm finding when digging up carrots that you never quite know what you are going to get. Most have been fairly normal sizes but was surprised to dig up three really fat ones, they are about 4-5 inches long so not a huge length but with the width I get a quite a lot of carrot from one plant.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 19:52 »
Autumn King 2 are pretty chunky carrots when I grow them, unlike Nantes sorts which are much more slender
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:05 »
My Autumn kings have only been in since July and already they are over an inch wide at the top - pulled one up last night and though it had forked it was still very long.

Very impressed with them!

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 12:15 »
My carrots have been pants this year. Nantes II. Last year they did really well. Does the seed stay viable, as it was the same batch of seed I used. Can't see it being the soil it's, really fine and no stones. They were sown in early April and they are still only atthe "baby" carrot stage. I have been eating them for a while now, but even small as they are, they seem to lack the taste of last years. Any ideas.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:18 »
My carrots have been pants this year. Nantes II. Last year they did really well. Does the seed stay viable, as it was the same batch of seed I used. Can't see it being the soil it's, really fine and no stones. They were sown in early April and they are still only atthe "baby" carrot stage. I have been eating them for a while now, but even small as they are, they seem to lack the taste of last years. Any ideas.

My carrots were sown about the same time and twiglet is a great description the ones sowed much later are the same size. I dont really know why i bother with carrots  ::)

al78

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 00:00 »

My carrots were sown about the same time and twiglet is a great description the ones sowed much later are the same size. I dont really know why i bother with carrots  ::)

I couldn't even get any seed to germinate after about mid May. goodness knows why as the weather was better than it was in April.

xx
4ft wide row with 2ft wide paths

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 23:43
by green_fingered_ash
xx
Peas and broad beans unusually short

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 03, 2018, 13:55
by arh
xx
Wide Pages

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 13:49
by vron
xx
How wide do raspberries grow?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 15:48
by DD.

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 40 queries.