Potato grow bags

• 8 Replies

tomboy

Potato grow bags
« on: February 08, 2021, 16:09 »
I have had to give up my allotment finding it hard being in my 80s and health up and down to keep it going. so gave it up to let the younger generation have a go. so after rearranging some of my wife's plants (If anyone wants to know we are still on speaking terms (just) I found the space for growing  a lot smaller than I have been used to. So I am using different Methods of growing Veg. My Granddaughter as ordered from (Hope I can say the name Thompson Morgan who I have dealt happily for many years.  Potato grow bags but they only hold 8lt of soil and look very small I would like to know If anyone has used them their opinion of them. many thanks.

Nobbie

Re: Potato grow bags
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 12:53 »
They sound about the same size as the 10” square pots I use. I just pop half a chitted spud about 2” from the bottom and then top up as they grow. Get a decent crop out of each pot and not too heavy to move about as if a hard frost is forecast I’ll move them into the greenhouse.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 15:15 »
They do sound small to me, when I use 30L pots for 2 seed potatoes, probably ok to grow 1 early spud in though  :)

Christine

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 16:31 »
I've tried potato bags and ended up scrounging a much larger 30l pot like mum

- meant I had to find another one to use for what I was intending the bigger one for  of course. I also found the potato bags to not be that sturdy for more than a year. Might have been me though being heavy handed.

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 06:24 »
We tried growing potatoes in those smallish bags a while ago. It did work, but you need a lot of bags to get a decent amount of crop, even for two people, like us. I also found them awkward to move around as the handles want to 'gather' the top together, like a shopping bag. We gave up on them, and now, more than a decade later still have the bags but use them to store our empty pots in that are awaiting washing.

I find the 30l black pots with handles much easier to move about even when full of compost. This year we will be growing a few potatoes in the 30l pots. We also have some 50l pots, and they may seem the better bet. However, most people have suggested they are too large to handle easily - especially for us 'old-boys' and you have a few years on me, being only a youngster at 65!

I hope this helps,
Ralph.
I need more space...

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 07:20 »
While you have a few years on me Tomboy, I'm doing what you're doing now, having given up our allotment. (Good for you for keeping going all those extra years)!

We bought some Marshalls potato bags, and were hugely disappointed, as we followed their instructions to the 'nth' degree, and decided to use them for something else instead - it was leeks last year!

Most of our stuff is now in trays, on shelves two ft off the ground with carrot buckets etc. Mumofstig here gave me a lot of info on 'Square foot gardening', and we now have every opportunity to indulge our passion for gardening and veg growing without too much effort! (Some of the pics are around from last year)!

Sorry to dampen the spud issue for you though, we did have a little success in ordinary buckets, but for just a couple of weeks 'earliness', decided that it really wasn't worth it all!

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 08:05 »
we have had success using 30 to 60 litre size tubs with handles starting a couple in the greenhouse after which the compost goes over to the allotment beds we find the potatoes come out clean and easier than lifting with a fork I think like others we are tempted to put too many seeds in each tub   what is ideal??
from bow like to grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 08:47 »
Watching all the youtube vids on growing spuds in pots consensus seems to be plant 2 in 30L tubs, thus 3 in 45L tubs etc. I have used the 30L ones myself for the last couple of years.

To muddy the water a bit - remember those empty flower buckets we all used to get from the supermarkets? About 12L iirc? Well, last year I grew my earliest spuds, 1 per bucket, in a couple of those - they're an easy size to fit in the greenhouse when it's jammed packed with everything else  :D

tomboy

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 10:08 »
My thanks to all your responses. Going to try these 8 litre bags. With a bit of luck they might be successful or I might rue the results. I have got 20 of the little * so nothing ventured , nothing gained.

xx
potato in grow bags

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:55
by mumofstig
xx
potato grow bags

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 11:00
by Kristen
xx
potato grow bags

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 23:22
by Robster
xx
Cheapest potato grow bags

Started by kingdhesiii on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 22:07
by digalotty

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 37 queries.