Scavenging materials?

• 5 Replies

Windsong

Scavenging materials?
« on: March 26, 2011, 15:20 »
Where are some good places to scavenge materials to use on our allotment?

We would like some wood (or other materials) to make the borders for our beds (and to allow us to raise them a little), some cold frames, to make a munty frame and to make a compost box.

Mister can get some old scaffolding boards from work but we'll need more than what he can get and it would cost a fortune to buy all of the material new.

Trillium

Re: Scavenging materials?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 15:26 »
Check around industrial sites for pallets/skids. Do ask permission first before taking as some may not want to be rid of their skids.

Also try some sawmills for off-cuts that may have knots, etc. Sometimes those can be had free or for very little cost.

Also check local freecycle ads. I'm amazed at what some people have gotten, including whole greenhouses.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 16:12 »
You really will be amazed at what people will give away on freecycle and the other freeby sites.

But when asking, always be polite, and don't let people down.  If you find you can't take up their offer, then just let them know.  I hate waiting around for people who don't turn up!  That way you will get a good reputation on there!   :lol:

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 19:11 »
Thanks both!

I've had a look through a couple of freecycle groups and didn't see anything on offer, but have created some wanted posts.

There is a timberyard not too far from where we are, perhaps we can ask around there. We'll have a trawl around some insudtrial sites and ask around about pallets too.

ex-cavator

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 19:44 »
I've just had a good weekend on Freecycle - Friday night I got 3 huge sacks of chicken poo with a promise of an everlastic supply, yesterday I got 24 heavyweight 2 x 2 paving slabs for my lotty path. All I want now is a greenhouse (well not quite true - not ALL I want  :lol: )

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 17:31 »
Ask permission if you see anything you can use that's in a skip. I got some window frames with unbroken glass to use as a cold frame lid when the homeowner was having new double glazing put in. I was polite when I knocked on his door and he was happy to let me take them away.

Also keep your eye open for anyone having block paving, there are usuall paviors left over they'll be glad to get rid of.

Be quick to reply nicely if you see anything on freecycle. I sometimes even offer the donor something in exchange but they're usually just glad to get rid of stuff.

:)

xx
COMPOSTING MATERIALS

Started by TREGRAHOW on Frugal Living

20 Replies
Last post August 23, 2017, 15:15
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 34 queries.