traybake - bargain buy

• 10 Replies

mrs bouquet

traybake - bargain buy
« on: April 21, 2017, 15:04 »
I have never made any sort of tray bake, and fancy to try one.
But I haven't got a tray.  What is the most popular size for these cakes ?  so that I know what to go and buy, and are any better than others ?  thanks Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: traybake - bargain buy
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 15:54 »
I use my Lakeland one, good quality non-stick  :)

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/18610/Mary-Berry-with-Lakeland-Traybake

If you are going to order for home delivery rather than collect at your nearest store I think it works out cheaper on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lakeland-and-Mary-Berry-Traybake-Cake-Tin-12-x-9-Straight-Vertical-Sides-/192113527178?hash=item2cbadbc98a:g:HrMAAOSw3v5YsXHI

Kate58

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 17:51 »
I have made lots of tray bakes over the years.  The tins I use are just bog standard ones from the supermarket.  They measure approximately (in old money) 10 inches by 7 inches and are 1 1/4 inches deep.  Hope that helps

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 17:57 »
I too use very ordinary tins - roasting tins work too! Lemon drizzle makes a great tray bake!
ManicMum

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:13 »
Thank you for your replies.  It is interesting about the different sizes.  If I only buy one tray, how do I adjust the recipe if it says to use a different size to the tray I buy, and do I have to line it with greaseproof just the same as an ordinary tin ? thanks again Mrs B

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 11:24 »
I use basic maths (and a calculator and my fingers!)   If you multiply width x length x depth of the suggested tin size and also of the tin you are using, you kind of work out the ratio and adjust the recipe accordingly. 

For example, I calculated that the recipe for a fruit cake to be cooked in an 8" round tin needs to be doubled to be right in a 10" square tin (& round tins are far harder than nice square or rectangular ones!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 11:31 »
Most recipes tell you which size tin, and as long as your tin isn't too different (ie don't use a huge roasting tin instead)  the cake will just be a little deeper or thinner, so you can adjust the size of your piece to compensate.

I have 9in x 12in and an 8 x10in tins but there's not really much difference by the time the cakes are cut up in suitably sized pieces  :D

Kate58

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 18:27 »
I always use baking parchment in my tray bake tins instead of greaseproof these days as it comes away from the cakes better.  As to ingredients 6oz each of SR flour, sugar and marg/butter and 3 eggs (plus any flavourings) come up lovely in the size of tins I use.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 22:13 »
I am also using simple, standard tins.

The quality(material of tin) determines, how hot the dish gets, you can just adjust cooking times.

Ease of clean: I find that enamel coated dishes are the easiest to clean, more so  than non-stick ones, especially the cheaper kind.

Ease of use: indeed, a grand fiddle it is to line a round one (so much so, that I have been pondering while isn't such easy to apply thing on the market).  The tins with the lose, detachable bottoms are very handy and advisable.

Size: not an issue. They do come in sets, 2-5 in different sizes at a very good price in many outlets.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:07 »
As some of you will know, I have been looking to buy a tray-bake tin for a while.
Yesterday, I went into Poundland to buy a wooden spatula (which they didn't have), but I spotted a Jane Asher tray bake, non-stick, complete with a recipe, 8" x 10",  PRICE 90p.
Now that I call  a bargain, now I wish I had bought two.   All I've got to do now is actually cook something in it,  ;)Regards, Mrs Bouquet

madcat

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:25 »
A picture of the inaugural bake will be required!   :D

(I'm doing spiced buns at the moment to take to a do tomorrow.  That is, hot cross buns without the cross but with the sticky glossy bun wash ... we love them, so they just change their name after Easter)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Yesterdays bargain (at least I think so)

Started by fallen angel on Kitchen Natter

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2016, 13:00
by chrissie B
xx
Bargain Time!!!

Started by John on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2018, 23:01
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 40 queries.