Another Very poorly hen; can anyone help?

• 18 Replies

NewtoChickens

Another Very poorly hen; can anyone help?
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:39 »
I am a new chicken owner of only 3 months and new to this website. I have two Plymouth Rock hens, approximately a year old, up until now they have been fine. One  remains well, and started laying in Dec, but the other since Saturday (when it turned very cold) is acting differently. I may be worried about nothing but i know something isn't right. She mopes around by herself and wants to sleep (hide her head under her feathers) a lot of the time, she has puffed her feathers up, breathing seems little fast and generally is not being a chicken e.g. scratching round. She is eating and drinking, has been wormed and cider vinegar has been added to her water. i have checked for mites, fleas etc. Extra straw has been added for warmth over night. There house and run remain on the same ground. i haven't taken her away from my other chicken as they do miss each other when not together so i didn’t want to stress them. I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice, or if they have experienced anything similar! i don’t know whether to bring her into the warm and separate? take to the vets? or leave her and see if she perks up as she doesn’t appear to have any other symptoms.
Would appreciate your help!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:46 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Another Very poorly hen; can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:47 »
I've split your post off the tail end of the other thread in order to keep it separate.

Hopefully some one can help you.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:21 »
what did you worm her with?
does she have a temperature? - feel under her wing with your hand and then with the same hand feel under the wing of your other bird? are they both about the same?
what does her comb look like?
at a year old she should be laying anyway so she is either younger or could be a year older.
What does her comb look like?
Staffies are softer than you think.

NewtoChickens

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01 »
She was wormed with Verm-x Herbal pellets. Comb is a pinky colour, it has never been bright red. should i be concerned? I will check her temperature when i leave work. Do you think she will be fine to stay with my other hen?
thanks for your help.

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:28 »
first of all verm-x has no proof that it works on getting rid of worms, it is a herbal preventative only. Please worm them with Flubenvet which is licensed for poultry and does work.
The pinky comb either shows she is not mature enough to lay (so I would say she is not 1 year old) or she is off lay for the winter. Did she moult this winter?

Mickle

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 15:29 »
What are her droppings like, colour/consistancy?

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 00:32 »
I was thinking either moult or even broodiness? Does she like to stay in the nest box?
I'm an expert on broodies now...my Speckledy has been in and out since we got her last Spring....I think she's only laid a dozen eggs altogether.
Duff one .....

NewtoChickens

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:18 »
From what i can tell her temperature is fine, her droppings are normal (brown/green, firm - nothing different)and i dont think she is broody, only because she doesn't stay in her nest box, not aggressive. She does come out, eats and drinks but she just mopes around outside. i am not convinced she has moulted this winter?

viettaclark

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 17:27 »
Hens are no different to us....they have their off-days too, especially if she's going to moult. If she's eating and pooing it's not anything to worry about YET.
Keep an eye on her and see if other symptoms occur.

kegs

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 18:29 »
I would worm her immediately as per Joyful's suggestion, with Flubenvet.  You should also check her for lice (I use Frontline cat strength on my chickens) and check her coop for mites with a piece of white paper.

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 19:29 »
I think Newtochickens said she had done all that Kegs and as only one out of the two is poorly it may not be creepy-crawlies.
I'm going with the more physical things like moult or even a hormonal thing if she's about to start laying.
But I am probably wrong!!!!!! ::)

NewtoChickens

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:49 »
Morning, today she is lifting her left leg right under her chest, which causes her not to walk very well. does anyone think this could be crop related? i dont know any help would be appreciated otherwise i think a visit to the vets.

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58 »
I think a trip to the vets may be needed, but whilst waiting feel her crop - is it hard and full or soft and squidgy or even neither? Have you looked underneath her feet - are their any hard lumps or mud balls?

NewtoChickens

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:54 »
Took flower to the vets Saturday, vet says nothing noticeably serious, but thinks she has some sort of infection, we have a pain killer and antibotics to take for 1 week. She still struggles to walk and cant make it down the ramp without falling, so have moved her away into a flat hutch for now. If at the end of week so hasn't improved would you take her back to the vets or something else??? im a worried chicken mummy who feels helpless!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 12:41 »
The only time one of our hens acted that way was when she had an impacted crop.  Put her on you lap and have a gentle go at her crop.  If it feels hard or stony, have a go at breaking up the bits with your fingers.  I don't believe hens have feelings in their crop, so you won't hurt her as long as you're not too rough.  Just a thought.
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen

Started by indigo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:55
by helens-hens
xx
A poorly hen...

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 14:00
by bob-the-chick
xx
Where do you put a poorly hen?

Started by AnimalFriend on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2018, 09:02
by New shoot

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.