Noise?

• 15 Replies

francais

• Experienced Member
Noise?
« on: October 11, 2009, 00:27 »
Looking for a bit of info please.

Thought I was up to speed on what to expect. I have brought the coop. Visited three suppliers and chosen the best one who recomended POL hybrid birds (we are having just 2)

I have spoke to our council, checked deeds and advised neigbours etc so was all ready for DH to construct the house and fetch our ladies next weekend.

Anyway DD mentioned to her mate at school we were having 2 hens and this girls gran-mother went all OTT on my mum (who takes and collects my DD to school). Saying they would make too much noise (this lady lives in the next street to us).

My back yard does back onto DD school yard (we have a fence between us and the area is screened by trees). The hen house is going to be furthest away from this fence though as we are keeping it close to the house / main path for ease of access etc.

Is there any possibility of two hens really making that much noise?

Toni

raeburg

Re: Noise?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 01:03 »
I wouldn't of thought so.  Some are noisier than others but unless you have cockerels there isn't really a problem.  Don't let them out of the house until a reasonable hour, say 7 am.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:11 »
2 hens won't make much noise if any.
Truth through science.

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 06:44 »
Some people display huge ignrance, usually when they cannot tell hens form cockerels.
I wouldnt worry. hens are unlikely to make much noise at all.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

Angus

• Skyechi
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 08:20 »
people are so full of rubbish sometimes.  When you get them you will not know they are there we have neighbours all around and our next door neighbours did not even know we have chickens until my daughter told them that Dorothy had pecked her fiinger.  Even then they thought she mean the tortoise :wacko:

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 12:47 »
Thanks everyone.

That's put my mind at ease  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 12:56 »
Tell her she won't hear anything.

....until you get the other 200  :D

Hope she doesn't make trouble for you.

Rob 8)

taximan

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 13:31 »
ive got four hybrids and u wouldnt know they were there. in fact my neighbours didnt know for the first week till i told them.dont worry about the old bat

virgotiger

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 22:45 »
 my orpington makes a noise when she's laid her egg, but the way i look at it, it's only once a day and no different to next doors rottweiler barking once a day for ten minutes when the postman comes! other than that my silkies(i have 4) are noisy if they get upset at anything...usually neighbours cats but they soon scare them off..oh and aeroplanes flying over, they all stand there eying them up and after they have disappeared they flap about for a bit and have a chicken grumble!! not had any complaints yet though!
4 kids,3 guinea pigs 1 bantam buff orpington, 1 warrens and 4 silkies...oh and a fella that thinks i'm weird!

too many girls

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 23:59 »
Looking for a bit of info please.

Thought I was up to speed on what to expect. I have brought the coop. Visited three suppliers and chosen the best one who recomended POL hybrid birds (we are having just 2)

I have spoke to our council, checked deeds and advised neigbours etc so was all ready for DH to construct the house and fetch our ladies next weekend.

Anyway DD mentioned to her mate at school we were having 2 hens and this girls gran-mother went all OTT on my mum (who takes and collects my DD to school). Saying they would make too much noise (this lady lives in the next street to us).

My back yard does back onto DD school yard (we have a fence between us and the area is screened by trees). The hen house is going to be furthest away from this fence though as we are keeping it close to the house / main path for ease of access etc.

Is there any possibility of two hens really making that much noise?

your yard backs onto the schools? and your worried about 2 hens making a noise?
you won't be able to hear them above the screeching of the kids at play time :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:23 »
My neighbour stopped me in the street over the weekend and my heart sank when he started, 'Your hens ....

.... I wish they'd cluck a bit more!'

Not what I was expecting  :D Apparently he stands up in the bedroom and watches them as they free range ... finds it relaxing after his recent heart attack. I knew there were advantages to keeping hens, but I didn't expect it to bless a neighbour in quite that way  :)
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Beano

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 08:53 »
That's a lovely story beulah59. Our neighbours say they find our chickens' noises relaxing. They say that they can tell when an egg has been layed by the noise. They also appreciate the odd half dozen eggs (just to keep them sweet).
francais one of our hens is very noisy. She seems to almost shout when she hears us coming up the garden path but even she would not be able to compete with a playground full of children. Good luck with your chickens I'm sure you and your neighbours will enjoy having them.
El.

funky chicken

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 19:17 »
Beulah,
  What a lovely story,brought a tear to my eye :blush:  We spend ages watching our girlies and the first time we heard Groovy p ::)rr.......wow! Wish we'd got them years ago

Alison_T

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 19:24 »
My neighbours had no idea I was keeping ducks and chickens initially - when I told them, they were thrilled, and one woman says she loves listening to them as it is a reminder of nature to her. There'll always be NIMBYs to disparage you - if this neighbour continues to complain why not offer her a couple of lovely free range eggs to quieten her down? She's bound to shut up after she tastes those goodies!

oborne27

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 19:41 »
I've got 3 hens and all the noise we get is a small burble and the odd cluck when we feed them otherwise no noise. she is probably concerned at cockerels.

xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg
xx
rattling noise ?

Started by terri on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:53
by henamoured
xx
cockerel noise

Started by azubah on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 20:50
by coco
xx
Chicken/hen noise

Started by nottage on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:14
by dawnsmith

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 35 queries.