Another bank scam.

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

Another bank scam.
« on: January 27, 2023, 10:08 »
Yesterday I got a call from my bank saying I'd just had two purchases from Amazon that morning (no) and to "press 1" to cancel them. Hmmm. Pressed 1 out of interest and, as soon as I heard a very strong Eastern accent, I put the phone down then dialled 1471 which gave me a number that started with our area code. Doing this also cancelled any chance of them remaining on the end of the phone. I called my bank via the number on the back of my bank card and reported it plus gave them the number I got from 1471. They said what I'd done was perfect and they added this number to their fraud log. It's bad enough to get these phone scams when you're reasonably savvy, but I so fear for some folks. I think that the phone number for Action Fraud is 579 which can be used for various circumstances.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Another bank scam.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 17:59 »
This explains why we need to ensure all towns have physical bank branches!
Both telephone banking and internet banking are not enough on their own.
Most of the current wave of frauds rely on the fact that customers can’t easily access their high street branch.
Keep digging

wighty

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 18:25 »
I keep getting automated messages 'from my bank' asking if I really meant  to spend £270 on my car this morning followed by another spend of £1,800 somewhere else.  I've apparently spent this amount of money four times now.  Seeing as I'm housebound, I don't think so somehow, just put the phone down and ignore it.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 19:15 »
Having disconnected the land line phone from the phone line years back due to a continuing stream of such calls, I'm content to continue with the mobile phone.

If I don't recognise a number they can leave a message or if i'ts really "out of area" then it's ignored. I find it easy to suggest to the powers that be that a number is "spam" and calls are often disconnected and marked as spam. Calls sometimes go through to answer and don't leave a message.

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 18:24 »
Its a never ending problem.  I only respond to phone numbers I recognise whether it's my mobile or the land line. If people are genuine they leave a message otherwise they get ignored.

xx
Lloyds bank scam

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2021, 18:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bank of england and what they say

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 10:25
by chrissie B
xx
Bank Charges

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2020, 11:35
by New shoot
xx
Natwest bank

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2018, 12:23
by bayleaf

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.