Ex-battery Ducks???

• 15 Replies

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Ex-battery Ducks???
« on: April 08, 2010, 14:31 »
It's something I have been thinking about more and more. We have rehoming rescue centres for ex-bats, ex-barns, and ex-free range chooks, but what about the egg laying ducks out there? What happens to them and are there any similar charities set up for when the ducks have finished their productive laying years? I for one would be really interested in adopting ducks like this, but just don't know where to look  ???

madcat

Re: Ex-battery Ducks???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 16:29 »
Funnily enough I was wondering this recently - one of those 2am thoughts, heaven knows why  -  I came to the conclusion that the duck egg market is so small and un-industrialised, the process is probably much more informal.  Also - battery hens aren't much good to eat.  Are egg laying ducks?  Could they just be going into the food chain somewhere?  :unsure:

http://www.duckeggs.co.uk/ducks.htm are the only people I can find who talk about what happens to their ducks ....  Perhaps a phone call?   ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 17:45 »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had wondered. They do mention on that site that they rehome at 3 years old so I will phone to find out how they deal with the rehoming. I can't seem to find any more northern duck egg producers which is a shame. I doubt a three year old duck would make good eating. Although my girls have more meat to them than the chooks they are still skinny little things compared to my drakes (although I do have sumo drakes  ::) ) so I imagine if they are not rehomed they are used for pet foods etc in the same way ex-bats are  :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 19:37 »
Can't imagine that they find homes for that many ducks, there just isn't the interest in ducks that there is in chickens which is a real shame.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:21 »
Sorry cant help with ex battery ducks, DH wont let me have any  :mad:
But would like to know more about ex barn and ex free range hens if anyone has any links or info? I have 2 ex battery hens already

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 18:02 »
I'm now properly looking at arranging an ex-egg laying duck rescue (similar to ex-battery hen rescue) on a small scale so anyone who wants to help out let me know. I'm just at the contacting the producers stage, but any ideas or help come the event will be much appreciated :D

For ex-bats try battery hen welfare trust or hen rehomers who will be able to tell you of local rescues and put you on the waiting list  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 18:17 »
count me in for transport help Cara although not for rehoming, Joy xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 18:21 »
I only have a Honda CRV but with seats down should be able to fit a few in if you need more help with transport

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 18:23 »
That's great - thank you  :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 18:38 »
Don't have room to rehome any but put me down for help with transport or anything else I can do to help. Bet I could act as a staging point or similar. I am of course offering Nick's place for that!

madcat

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:33 »
I dont know where you got to with battery duck rescue but I thought you might be interested in this article about goose rescue here

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 09:25 »
Did you manage to sort anything out yet Cara?  :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 23:19 »
I dont know where you got to with battery duck rescue but I thought you might be interested in this article about goose rescue here

I had an email from them but i'd already got brendan & mary as babies at this point & no more room for anymore otherwise i'd of had a couple. I asked if i could put a couple on the lottie for grass control but they wouldn't allow me.  >:( :(

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 23:46 »
The logistics were working out too complicated to arrange :( I really admire those who manage to get these rescues up and running as after looking into it they put a lot of hard work in and an awful lot of travelling as well. The goose rescue sounds great though, sadly I don't have enough space for geese here  :(

clarem

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 15:04 »
Hi Caralou,
Who did you get in touch with about your duck rescue?  I would be really interested in getting involved in something like this and wondered what the issues were that stopped you?
Cheers

xx
Last battery hen in UK

Started by Pep on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post January 13, 2012, 12:11
by compostqueen
xx
Ex Battery hens

Started by druidswoods on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 21:52
by waliz
xx
Ex battery hens

Started by smud6ie on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 13:00
by lightyears
xx
the Battery Hens are here, the 1st pics

Started by storme37 on Chicken Chat

18 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 23:14
by storme37

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.